About to go Nikon DSLR - Canon users rebuttal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanjel Imaging

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am about a week away from taking the DSLR plunge. Ive always shot Nikon and it looks like the D300 is going to be my choice. But something is continuing to nag me in the back of my mind. Im always hearing people say "too bad you werent shooting Canon" or something to that extent. Never "A Nikon would have really helped". So is it just user fandom or is the Canon digital line comparably better?

I only want to do this once. So Id like to hear exactly what it is that the Canon users like that Nikon does not provide them.

Thanks for looking.

Both are top of the line. You really cannot go wrong with either system.

Like Montana said. Either system will provide you with a top flight capability.

The differences are not as marked as some would have you believe, and those differences are not necessarily better or worse, but different.

Go into a store, compare what's in your price range side by side, then choose on what's best for you (assuming you know what you want to shoot predominantly), based on how you like the feel and features of what's in your hands.

Oh and I shoot Canon with a similar range of equipment to that listed above. I've had Canon gear since around 1981, it's what I'm used to.

I realize both are top notch and far exceed my technical abilities. All of my film cameras were Nikon and I do prefer the feel of them over the Canon's.

Ive also heard arguments for both of their IS capabilities. And of course all the tales of Canons glass. Personally I have loved just about every Nikkor lens Ive ever owned.

Ive used Nikon's for decades and never been able to wear one out.
But have had other brands which did not hold up as well. The D300 is built like a tank. You need to "Handle both cameras and shoot the same thing with each camera."

Personally prefer the NIKON especially with the battery pack. With big hands other cameras seem like toys. :D
With small hands, you just go without the pack.

Trying to make a decision based on other people to me makes no sense. Choose a camera whose features fit your needs. If you already had Nikon lenses, the D300 can use them, where the Canon will not. If you had Canon lenses, the same would apply.

Most who give their reasons, like me will be slanted in favor of what camera they use. Few will have used both extensively, so can't advise you a choice between the two. Ive used both, had a Canon years ago, switched to Nikon and never looked back. But, today they are not like the one I had, so what Id say about it does not apply.

Generally Nikon owners realize this, so do not waste time saying "too bad you were not using a Nikon." Those who would, do not realize the BRAND of camera you use makes NO difference. It is what you know about HOW to use it that makes the difference.

In 1939 could get great pictures with a Kodak Vest Pocket Brownie. When I bought a better camera, it was only more versatile so I could get just as great pictures under more difficult situations.

Today, can create even better images, not due to a brand of camera, but because of what Ive learned in 73 years of photography. Some buy a more expensive camera thinking it will make "better" pictures. Then are disappointed because they do not know how to use it. Many times if they kept the camera they had, and spent three months intensely focusing on learning how to use it, they would be satisfied with it. Spending a year in an Adult Ed Photography class could do much more for them, than a new camera.

Go to a store which will let you shoot some digital shots on your own card. Take some with each camera of the same subject, using automatic settings as you will not be familiar with manual. Realizing you still unfamiliar with both. Take the card home and see what you like or do not like about them and make your choice.

Then, learn to use it as well as you can use your hands.

Im always hearing people say "too bad you werent shooting Canon" or something to that extent. Never "A Nikon would have really helped".

For what its worth, I (Canon shooter) have the exact opposite reaction from people. I'd say the majority of the people I run into around these parts (North East jersey, NYC area) are Nikon shooters. Most of the local shops seem to cater and push Nikon more often. In a way, it worked in my favor as I buy up all the used Canon stuff whenever the shop convinces someone to switch.

In the end.. Ignore everyone and listen to yourself. You owe yourself that much.

I really suggest you bo to the store and play with them both. Even rent both. Features will come and go. Form time to time, one will be better than the other in some aspects. You just have to get what you like, learn to use it, and enjoy it.

You know how it is, the grass is always greener on the other side. That, and Canon is a bit smarter when it comes to marketing and labels their pro lenses as such, complete with a nice red ring and sometimes an exotic light grey finish :). Even Sigma does something similar (the EX label). This does not always mean superior quality, but it is basically creating an exoting image around your brand for free, i don't know why Nikon hasn't got something similar.

A long time ago, Ruger came out w/ their P90 pistol in 45 Cal. I wanted one so very badly, that I saved up a ton of money to purchase the thing when it hit the stores. I had myself put on a waiting list for when it came to the store and I psyched myself up when I went to get it. The salesman came out with the box, I picked it up one time, put it back down and said..." NO! Give me a 1911."...

Moral: it’s ok to psyche yourself up for something because you like the reviews, etc, but its best to follow all the advice given that says... GO LOOK AT THEM YOURSELF! Best thing to do is see if it even fits you. Secondly to switch brands can be very expensive. (This from a Minolta shooter who switched to Canon).

I fully enjoy my Canon, and won’t look back. But if you have Nikon gear, you may want to consider sticking w/ Nikon. It’ll be cheaper in the end for you, and you stick to what is familiar.

Sure they do, Nikon uses a gold band. Now they don't have the signifying L, but they do band their higher level lenses.

Hmm, it doesn't stand out quite as much... i had noticed the gold band before but the association is not as clear as with Canon's lenses for some reason. But it is there on the recent high end lenses, so i stand corrected.

Sure they do, Nikon uses a gold band. Now they don't have the signifying L, but they do band their higher level lenses.

Hmm, it doesn't stand out quite as much... i had noticed the gold band before but the association is not as clear as with Canon's lenses for some reason. But it is there on the recent high end lenses, so i stand corrected.
Ya, black doesn't stand out as much as white either. ;)
Go figure. :D

Yea you can't go wrong with either camera, it also depends on your location too. On the west coast everyone shoots canon (although I shoot Nikon hehe), on the east coast a lot of people shoot nikon, and in Europe everyone shoots nikon.

I am about a week away from taking the DSLR plunge. Ive always shot Nikon and it looks like the D300 is going to be my choice. But something is continuing to nag me in the back of my mind. Im always hearing people say "too bad you werent shooting Canon" or something to that extent. Never "A Nikon would have really helped". So is it just user fandom or is the Canon digital line comparably better?

I only want to do this once. So Id like to hear exactly what it is that the Canon users like that Nikon does not provide them.

Thanks for looking.

I have problems with Nikon's D40 and D60s. But at the D300 level they are awesome.

I have held and fondled both lines. The Nikons have always felt more natural in my hands. I think the IS and lens quality issues were my only real concerns. It seems like a comparable Nikkor lens is a bit more $$ vs. an equal Canon too. The body is a drop in the bucket compared to a bag full of good glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back