About to go Nikon DSLR - Canon users rebuttal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... so you've done months of research, but now come to get last minute thoughts from Canon users?

If you've done months of research and decided on Nikon, you surely would know that by this stage, you're buying the camera for the camera and the lens lineup, not because of the brand.

If you've already decided Nikon, something big must have stirred you that way. I'm sure it would take quite a lot of people to tell you that Canon's better for you to change your mind now.

Stick with the D300. You'll forever, otherwise, fret about which brand and camera. The D300 is a great camera. I use Canon and heck, I like that camera. But it's not to get be to jump ship and I'm happy with what I use.

I'm in a similar state, but from the other side, been thinking of buying a Canon but I got a in store presentation of the new Nikon D5000, and I've been having that in my head for some time now and can't decide yet.

Both Nikon and Canon are very good. I concur with the opinion that you need to go to a store and feel them both up to see which is more comfortable to you.

However, there are some differences in the glass department. I don't know Canon's line intimately, but I do know that Canon offers 4 different versions of their 70-200 pro glass: an f/4 version which is quite affordable, an f/4 with IS, an f/2.8, and an f/2.8 with IS. Nikon just offers a 70-200 with f/2.8 VR, and can't compete on the "cheaper" side which is still very good optically. On the other hand, Nikon has such lenses as the DC lenses (defocus control), which allows you to control just how creamy or coarse you want your bokeh to be, as well as the 105mm f/2.8 VR macro which is the only macro lens on the planet with VR as far as I know (and thus very appropriate if you sometimes use it for stuff other than macro, i.e. portraiture), etc. etc.

I personally went with Nikon because my parents had an old 50mm f/1.8 with some of the plastic chipped off - gave it back to them when I got my 50mm f/1.4. No regrets over here.

Wait... so you've done months of research, but now come to get last minute thoughts from Canon users?

If you've done months of research and decided on Nikon, you surely would know that by this stage, you're buying the camera for the camera and the lens lineup, not because of the brand.

If you've already decided Nikon, something big must have stirred you that way. I'm sure it would take quite a lot of people to tell you that Canon's better for you to change your mind now.

Stick with the D300. You'll forever, otherwise, fret about which brand and camera. The D300 is a great camera. I use Canon and heck, I like that camera. But it's not to get be to jump ship and I'm happy with what I use.

No, I did all the research I could do so I didnt have to come here and ask the million questions that could be answered by just reading. Then I came and opened up a dialogue to answer my particular line of questions. Now I hope were done with the "search button" stuff.

The Canon 50D felt like a toy to me. I sure wish Nikon offered something full frame for less than the D700.

The Canon 50D felt like a toy to me. I sure wish Nikon offered something full frame for less than the D700.
It's all a matter of perspective. Every Nikon I've held both looked and felt like a toy with the exception of the D700 and D3. The D300 is better than the D90 and is similar to the D700, but I still can't get over the toyish looking controls, plastic triangles and uglier than sin plastic screen protectors.

But that's why we have a choice.

As for Pentax and the rest of the off brands, I would avoid them if you want to share equipment with friends or even if you want to rent something you don't have for a shoot. Nikon and Canon are always supported and it's easy to find rentals for things you might need. This isn't always true for Pentax, Olympus and Sony.

Now go get a Nikon and be happy.

It's all a matter of perspective. Every Nikon I've held both looked and felt like a toy with the exception of the D700 and D3. The D300 is better than the D90 and is similar to the D700, but I still can't get over the toyish looking controls, plastic triangles and uglier than sin plastic screen protectors.

But that's why we have a choice.

As for Pentax and the rest of the off brands, I would avoid them if you want to share equipment with friends or even if you want to rent something you don't have for a shoot. Nikon and Canon are always supported and it's easy to find rentals for things you might need. This isn't always true for Pentax, Olympus and Sony.

Now go get a Nikon and be happy.

First I want to say Im a Nikon film guy and own about 6 Nikon film bodies and I love them all.

Now to my point...

Penatx is not an OFF-Brand.
They have been making professional cameras for longer than most people have been shooting.

It would benfit others if actual links to camera ratings were given and we shied away from personal taste and preferences. This would help eliminate much of the B.S that is spread around.

Pentax K-7

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09052003pentaxk7dslr.asp

The Pentax cameras are compatible with many lens mounts and their performance is excellent. You shouild do research on a praticular brand before you post negative remarks about it.

Nikon lenses can also mount onto Penatx bodies. How much more compatable do you need?

Nikons dont handle M42 lenses very well so therefore they cant handle the EXCELLENT MF Takumar glass well ,nor many great Zeiss lenses. So if you want to talk compatible you better take a closer look at the Nikon Digital, becaude those cameras are not very friendly with other lens mounts, even via an adaptor.

I did my research.

Im not telling anyone to buy a Pentax, Im simply stating they make a fine versatile camera that is very user friendly with other lens mounts.

Since when has Nikon and Canon become the only brands to buy? That would be like saying this is the only camera forum to browse. There are many very good choices beyond Nikon and Canon.

Leica glass is perhaps the finest glass on the planet, try mounting one to a Nikon! Good luck.

Check out http://forum.mflenses.com/ for some great info on lenses and camera compatability.

Last edited:
Since when has Nikon and Canon become the only brands to buy? That would be like saying this is the only camera forum to browse. There are many very good choices beyond Nikon and Canon.
Since the majority of the people out there shoot them. I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's not my problem.

If you want to be able to borrow your friends gear, attend a photography group shoot that has PW's which don't fit Minolta style mounts, or any number of other incompatibilities, go with the flow and get one of the two top brands. If this isn't a problem for you, then get Pentax, Olympus, Sony, or whatever flops your mop, no one has said otherwise.

We have a local studio group here and inevitably someone will show up with a camera and the wireless trigger won't fit their hotshoe. Say it's not true all you like, it doesn't change reality.

No one is saying don't buy the other brands, what I am saying is if you are a noob and you want to maximize the availability of goodies, get one of the brands damn near everyone shoots.

The Pentax cameras are compatible with many lens mounts and their performance is excellent. You shouild do research on a praticular brand before you post negative remarks about it.
Excuse me, I didn't say anything about the performance of the K7 or any other Pentax offering.

Fanboys, what would the internet be without them?

Since the majority of the people out there shoot them. I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's not my problem.

If you want to be able to borrow your friends gear, attend a photography group shoot that has PW's which don't fit Minolta style mounts, or any number of other incompatibilities, go with the flow and get one of the two top brands. If this isn't a problem for you, then get Pentax, Olympus, Sony, or whatever flops your mop, no one has said otherwise.

We have a local studio group here and inevitably someone will show up with a camera and the wireless trigger won't fit their hotshoe. Say it's not true all you like, it doesn't change reality.

No one is saying don't buy the other brands, what I am saying is if you are a noob and you want to maximize the availability of goodies, get one of the brands damn near everyone shoots.

You refered to the Pentax as a third party camera. Obviously you no nothing about Pentax, but decided to tell would be viewrs that they werent worthy to buy.

Camera groups? I would assume that most shooter know there gear and if they forgot something "oops". Try Ritz or any major chain they will stock Pentax equipment.

And besides I have been to many camera outings and have seen all types of brands being used. Perhaps you belong to a special Nikon, Canon group? hmmmmm interesting.

What if someone really needed 24mm lens, but the only one available was an M42 mount? The Canon people would be fine as long as they had an adaptor, the Nikon people not so lucky? So, there are pros and cons to all gear.

Obviously your a FANBOY yourself, and one that post inacurate information that can mislead people.

I have more Nikon gear than most people. I love my Nikom glass, but when in comes to versatility for digital, Nikon misses the boat where lens mount are concerned.

Last edited:

As for Pentax and the rest of the off brands, I would avoid them

From your staement above you are telling people not to buy Pentax.

Or did you forget?

Clawed, it's obvious he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. It's best to just ignore him, its clear you're not going to enlighten him.

He can't even grasp the concept of a new users photography group. He thinks everyone is born with every piece of equipment apparently and it's just a matter of remembering to bring it. That or you can just pop over to Ritz (going out of business) and pick up a $200 PW. LOL

Clawed, it's obvious he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. It's best to just ignore him, its clear you're not going to enlighten him.

He can't even grasp the concept of a new users photography group. He thinks everyone is born with every piece of equipment apparently and it's just a matter of remembering to bring it. That or you can just pop over to Ritz (going out of business) and pick up a $200 PW. LOL
Exactly, which is why I deleted my statement as soon as I added it :lol:

And Ritz is horrible, they NEVER have anything I am looking for so. I agree it's probably in anyones best interest to shoot the big two (convenience shouldn't be undermined).

Asking friends for help when your proven wrong?

Your a crybaby!

face the fact, your spreading BS and just because you've been visiting this forum longer than I have, this does not make you educated on cameras as you have already proven.

You tend to make a lot of assumptions!

Plus your a liar, and I pointed that out.

Last edited:

Exactly, which is why I deleted my statement as soon as I added it :lol:

And Ritz is horrible, they NEVER have anything I am looking for so. I agree it's probably in anyones best interest to shoot the big two (convenience shouldn't be undermined).

hah hah !

Ritz may not be the best, I agree.

The big TWO?

Sorry, I disagree. If you cant accept that and you feel you need to sling mud, then be my guest. Not everyone will agree with you, get use to it.

Boy, someone has his panties in a bunch. LOL, kids... it sucks when school is out and they're running around the internet crapping up the forums. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back