Abstract Long Exposure

iolair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I set a aperture priority, f/22 and ISO 100 to get a longer exposure and walked forward through a tunnel made by the trees overhead as the shutter was open. Canon 40D with Canon 10-22mm.

Into the Light by Neil Gratton, on Flickr

I might try it again sometime with my 3-stop ND added.

If you were able to walk through without getting the bounce that walking will get you, you might get a more effective result. By just waking with the shutter open, it looks like a blurry jumbled mess.

I think this works. I see what Steve is saying, but that would be a different image, which I might also like.

If you were able to walk through without getting the bounce that walking will get you, you might get a more effective result. By just waking with the shutter open, it looks like a blurry jumbled mess.

Set the camera on a tripod and zoom the lens when the shutter is open.

I'm with KenC too. I think I'd like both shots. Nice!!

Thats a good idea, try this and let us know how it works.

Thats a good idea, try this and let us know how it works.

Longexpsosurezoom.jpg~original

I love the shot. I wish you didn't tell me what it was; that is part of the fun with abstracts: seeing the lines, colors/gradients, shapes, textures, etc., and not the actual thing.
I think your abstract is lovely!

I'm a big fan of the jumble - I think it works best on the green sections. As KenC said, with it smooth it would be a different image. I must get round to trying the long-exposure zoom, but I really like these moving ones - so the smoother equivalent here would be to have the camera mounted on e.g. a bicycle.

It would also be fun to add a subject in there, maybe freezing them with a flash. #ThingsToTryNextTime.

Have you heard of "camera tossing" ? You might like it. I think these kinds of shots are fun to do when driving around twilight, with the camera held just below the chin, and sort of pointed at the road, not actually looking through the viewfinder. The yellow line, the dashboard lights, oncoming cars, taillights of cars going the same direction, all jumbled together. Looks pretty cool, iolair!

Ernst Haas, a very famous photographer, used to shoot images at long-ish handheld speeds...he made famous shots of sailboats, and a bullfight. Speeds of around 1,2 seconds as I recall. Some pretty cool stuff he did. I always considered it to be a form of "photo-Cubism", in that it shows us multiple parts of, multiple qualities of, real-world objects.

Most reactions

Back