Abstract Textures

I like #1 and #2

Interesting and good exercise, like pushups in the morning. On #1, I believe if you isolated the red bg by cropping from the top it would be more effective as an abstract.

Ooooooo! I like these! #2 for the win w/ #3 coming in a close second.

Wow thanks guys and gals. I thought I had a dud on my hands.

Interesting and good exercise, like pushups in the morning. On #1, I believe if you isolated the red bg by cropping from the top it would be more effective as an abstract.

My favorite is actually number one because of the gradient transitional nature of it. It starts on on the bottom as tightly bunched barnacles and slowly fades into the red alge.

My favorite is actually number one because of the gradient transitional nature of it. It starts on on the bottom as tightly bunched barnacles and slowly fades into the red alge.

I agree. The first one is my favorite mostly for the same reasons. My second favorite is the rock. Both show both texture and pattern, which make them more interesting to me than the other two. And I can't tell if it's my eyes, my screen, or what, but something about the processing in the second and fourth picture intrude a little bit too much for my personal taste.

Very nice - esp 1 & 4. If you're ever feeling "artsy", you can try combining these with another exposure for something even more abstract.

The rock is my favorite. I LOVE the patterns in the cracks in that rock. I know what Limr is talking about in the processing. These look kind of over-sharpened or something, like maybe the sharpening applied on export was set for Print/Hard, or something...the content on the first three is lovely, and the lenswork seems good. I'm not fond of the shallow DOF and the edge quality drop-off on the tree shot, but all of them seem like the sharpening is wonky. I thought keyseddie's comment about "pushups in the morning" was really appropriate to these; these are like visual exercises, and I don't think any photographer worth his salt would skip over this great subject matter. You just gotta take these kinda shots.

The rock is my favorite. I LOVE the patterns in the cracks in that rock. I know what Limr is talking about in the processing. These look kind of over-sharpened or something, like maybe the sharpening applied on export was set for Print/Hard, or something...the content on the first three is lovely, and the lenswork seems good. I'm not fond of the shallow DOF and the edge quality drop-off on the tree shot, but all of them seem like the sharpening is wonky. I thought keyseddie's comment about "pushups in the morning" was really appropriate to these; these are like visual exercises, and I don't think any photographer worth his salt would skip over this great subject matter. You just gotta take these kinda shots.

Thanks
I used in camera HDR on the first three because it was noon and harsh light so I think that is where a lot of the "crunchy" feeling is coming from.

The tree one I will chalk up to having my 17-40 on which isn't mean't for cloe up work and I go closer than I should when I should have backed off and cropped.

I like this type of shot. Spent most of Sunday trying the same type of shots.

I agree with others that the first one is good. I don't care for the gray stuff in the lower right, so I would crop most of it out, which I think would make the composition more interesting. The rock is quite nice as well - not sure I would change anything there - possibly crop the black areas top and bottom (or maybe not).

I like the third one (the rocks). I also have this sneaking suspicion that shot would make a great black and white.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back