Abstractish B&W

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

2012031426 - square by J E, on Flickr

First off, I already know what the first complaint is going to be - needs more DOF.

Other than that, what do you think? (Is the concept solid? Worthy of a reshoot?)

BTW - these are the disks from a harddrive I tore apart... (A 27 GB HD that I paid $120 for, or something like that - 10 years ago. [edit - actually more like 15 years ago...])

Last edited:
I like the symmetry of the platters! I think a reshoot would let you nail it! Try and minimize that reflection... add a touch more DOF.. and you are there, bro! If it doesn't cooperate, show it your self-portrait... scare it death! ;)

I like it.
Why did you decide to add so much noise? I think I would have preferred it without noise. Still would have to compare to decide.The higlight is distracting on the top ring.

Didn't add any noise.

(That's called grain, and it's supposed to be there.)

;)

I'd prefer it without the noise (er, sorry...grain!). I think a shot like this needs to be as crisp and clean as possible. I also disagree with cgipson about the DOF. I'd have everything in the frame in sharp focus and work to get rid of the dark area in the bottom right corner.

A nice, even, sharp technological image.

It's the pattern that the fanned circles make that makes this such a strong image, so any noise, DOF or grey patches will detract from it.

I like it. I agree about maybe doing a version with less noise. The highlight at top right, I don't know if it is adding something or is too strong a burn out.
:)

Thanks for the input guys. I think I have some good ideas for a reshoot...

Grain is a property of film that is related to the size of the light-sensitive silver halide crystals in the film emulsion. Higher sensitivity film generally has larger crystals, so the grain is more visible in prints. Noise refers to random electrical activity (as opposed to the signal generated by a light image) that occurs in the sensor of a digital camera. Sensor noise manifests as randomly colored pixels in a digital image. If you want more detail:

Film grain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the image with the grain, and especially like the square crop.

Thanks. I was messing around with these yesterday, and thought about reshooting this. Then I remembered why I didn't shoot it straight on the first time - they're basically mirrors... If I shot them straight on, I would be taking a picture of my lens. I might be able to put some kind of mask around it so the whole reflection will be black though...

I'll have to mess around with that and see how it looks...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back