Accessories for D3100

Mia331

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a lens filter? I am not looking for anything fancy at this point as I am a beginner and just got my D3100. I wanted to get something to help protrect the lens so it doesnt get scratched as I get out and start shooting a bit more.

Is there a general or basic filter you would suggest? I thought about ordering the Vivitar UV Protective & Polorarizer lenses through Staples for $25 but thought I would try some suggestions to see if they would work or if it's a mistake?

Also, I wanted to get the hard plastic LCD screen protection, any tips where to get one or should I just go with the sticky protectors like you can get for a cell phone?

Thanks & I can't wait to start posting photos for some CC!

What kind of shooting do you expect to do that will risk scratching your lens?

The glass the front lens element is made of is very tough, and it has anti-scratch coatings on it.

In addition, using the supplied lens hood will not only add contrast to your photos, it will also offer a measure of 'protection' to your front lens element.

Cheap UV filters used for protection will make your photos look worse, by softening the focus, reducing the contrast in your photos, and promoting lens flare.

I have a f2.8 24-70 and Tokina 11-16 that that will never see a "protection" style filter.

I'm not going to buy half decent lenses and then jack with a chance of reducing clarity in pics. Maybe thats just me though
bigthumb.gif

Yep I been fine last 4 years with just having the lens hood on 24/7. And no problems with lens element or scratching even tho I have banged them thru doorways, Tree & Bush branches snapping back and general wackyness at lenses. As mentioned the lens element is a lot thicker and tougher than some flimsy thin piece of glass. And in the instance of wanting cheap then add to the possibility of degrading image,more prone to flares,ghosting and secondary reflections.

I agree...don't worry so much about protecting your camera & lens. As my Mom used to say (about me)..."You're not made of sugar, you won't melt".

Um,....you guys,...if its the D3100 kit with just the 18-55mm VR lens, it doesnt come with a lens hood. Although, a lens hood should only run you a few bucks. Filters can degrade your image quality. And thats not something you want to add to with the D3100's inability to shoot in mirror lock up. ( I have one, and I HATE that. ) I use a polarizer on occasion, but I also spent damn near $100 for the thing too. If your going to go with filters, dont go cheap. Your photos will suffer for it. The lens hood is probably your better option right now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was just wondering because if for some reason something happened where it got scratched because I didnt spend a few bucks to protect it I would have been mad...but I understand what you are all saying and since it doesn't appear to be as prone to scratching as I originally thought I wont bother with anything unless it is a filter for the type of shooting that may require it such as landscapes or something like that.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back