Nikon D7000 Grip/Battery question.

NikonME

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gripped D7000 users. I have my D7000 gripped and love it. I have it set to run from the grip battery, then the camera body battery.

I pull and charge the grip battery on as needed, but the camera body battery is never below 100% for most of my normal use.

My question is.. For basic use/storage, do you leave your batteries inside your body day to day? Or do you pull it out after a shoot and store it in your case? I am not talking about for long term storage.

I am just interested to know how you do it. I really wish both batteries were stored in the grip, as they are on some other grips.

Last edited:
I leave my battery in the body regardless of it being used or not, I charge it when its needed (its a must charge for me when below 50%). But I rarely take out the battery thats inside my D7000 because I can never seem to drain the battery grip in one day, so I only end up charging the grip.

I leave my battery in the body regardless of it being used or not, I charge it when its needed (its a must charge for me when below 50%). But I rarely take out the battery thats inside my D7000 because I can never seem to drain the battery grip in one day, so I only end up charging the grip.

I have rarely, if at all, had to pull the battery from the camera. I charge the grip battery as needed, but since I do not shoot many weddings or long events, the camera battery never discharges.

It just got me wondering if anyone had an issue with the battery while doing this. If so I would start pulling it.

I leave it in and recharge as necessary. But the battery goes for days and days. I mean, many times longer than the one in my d200 used to last.

Thank you for the replies.

Actually, batteries do drain to some extent, whether they're being used or not. Some are better than others, of course, but they all drain. Leaving them in your camera when not in use for a few days certainly won't hurt, but it won't do it any good either. Got a flashlight in the house you haven't used in awhile? Go check it out...........see if it still turns on. :)
If I may, a suggestion for flash double A batteries; get Eneloop batteries. These suckers LAST! Expensive, but definitely the way to go if you don't want to run out of power during a shoot.

I rotate mine every so often.

I built a tiny proton reactor for my d7000 battery lasts 100 years with no charging.....side effects, hair turned white and all my teeth fell out.....but hey, i never have to charge my batterys again.

a little off topic but is it true that the only difference between an authentic Nikon MB-D11 grip and the knock-offs is that
the sub and main command dials perform their functions in reversed to the Nikon product?

a little off topic but is it true that the only difference between an authentic Nikon MB-D11 grip and the knock-offs is that
the sub and main command dials perform their functions in reversed to the Nikon product?

The nikon grip is going to be a bit more quality built, but some of the nockoffs are pretty good. Mine is a nockoff and the command dials function the same. They are not reversed. So I guess it depends on which one your buying. Only other complaints I have heard about the nockoffs is some have said there is some slight movement between the grip and the camera, or that the buttons feel cheap (which I agree with that statement.)

First time I heard that a knockoff command dials work as the Nikon product. What brand did you buy?

a little off topic but is it true that the only difference between an authentic Nikon MB-D11 grip and the knock-offs is that the sub and main command dials perform their functions in reversed to the Nikon product?
The nikon grip is going to be a bit more quality built, but some of the nockoffs are pretty good. Mine is a nockoff and the command dials function the same. They are not reversed. So I guess it depends on which one your buying. Only other complaints I have heard about the nockoffs is some have said there is some slight movement between the grip and the camera, or that the buttons feel cheap (which I agree with that statement.)
I too would like to know the brand. I am not a fan of battery grips but I am starting to see their usefulness for certain situations.

I just purchased the meike d7000 grip and it works like a charm. Snug fit, and the best part is the $30 I paid for it. I took it out for a fairly abusive day at the CFOA paintball tournament and it held up great. The screw never backed out, and the dials all worked properly. Made shooting much easier, especially through a mask. :thumbup:

Edit: on Amazon it was listed as the Neewer grip...

I am tempted but I might not bother, I am tempted to go fx this year and any money away from that is money away from a d800 and 24-70. Also hoping that the d400 is an fx 16mp camera. But that is wishful thinking probably.

just received my new MB-D11 from Calumet photo. I've also owned Meike. Everything about the genuine Nikon product is superior.
Having said that, is it worth the extra $200? No probably not. No definitely not, But it is my birthday tomorrow, and the wife ask
me what I wanted this year, well you know the rest of the story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back