"Accidental" HDR ...on the right track?

xj0hnx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I say accidental because I wasn't trying for them, I was taking the shots to do a panorama, and twice my camera changed shutter speeds on me (I probably rolled the wheel) and I wound up with over, and under exposed pictures.

Park360004.jpg
Park360005.jpg

So I decided to try making them into a HDR ...So lemons to lemonade ...

Park360.jpg

I've tried HDR's in the past, but never seemed to get them to look right, but since I got the D5100, I've been cramming my head with info, and imo it may be paying off. Comments? Criticisms?

I say accidental because I wasn't trying for them, I was taking the shots to do a panorama, and twice my camera changed shutter speeds on me (I probably rolled the wheel) and I wound up with over, and under exposed pictures.

So I decided to try making them into a HDR ...So lemons to lemonade ...

I've tried HDR's in the past, but never seemed to get them to look right, but since I got the D5100, I've been cramming my head with info, and imo it may be paying off. Comments? Criticisms?

Not a fan of the photo itself. It's boring, has no subject, and the horizon is crooked (obviously).

However the HDR processing looks good. Not overdone. Just right. Nice work! Now to apply this to a more interesting scene!

I like it! It looks very realistic...not like some of the hdr's I see that have the fake/prosscessed affect (though I like those too ;) )

**edit: yes, I like the processing, the photo is boring...sidewalk, cars, field...

The image is nice: vibrant and not over-cooked. Why is it that even people who accidentally do HDR still do it better than when I deliberately try to do it. :(

seems a little cooked to me. idk.

i like the sky a lot, but the sidewalk and grass just seems a bit too toasty.

Yea, the scene was just the first shot out of ten for the panorama, nothing exciting at all. Well I am glad that the HDR work is decent enough, now I need to find something actually shoot :)

seems a little cooked to me. idk.

i like the sky a lot, but the sidewalk and grass just seems a bit too toasty.

My thoughts exactly. I think some local PP would benefit something like this. Make a few layers, one with mostly the sky, cars, and even the street off to the left. The second layer, the grass and sidewalk. The third layer, can consist of the grass/sidewalk portion of the originals... something like 70-80% opacity of the overexposed photo and 20-30% opacity of underexposed. Flatten this combo into a single layer and then play around with opacity ratios of this flattened original layer with the second 'HDR' layer and it will bring back some of the 'real' look to the grass and sidewalk.

I've also had several Corona's at this point... soo if it doesn't sound right, maybe ignore what I said! :lol:

Most reactions

Back