Accidentally erased photos, what need to know

futurelao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
During Christmas Holidays I took a lot of photos, but my sister accidentally erased all my photos.
From this heartbreaking experience I learned some tips for recovery.
Here I share the tips with all.
a, Back up your photos frequently to minimize the risk of data loss.
b, Be more cautious to use ‘Shift + Del’ method when you want to delete photos from your PC and camera. Use Delete button to delete photos in case other needed photos are deleted.
c, Carefully read user manual of your camera before you use. Know how to properly delete single picture and all pictures
d, stop putting new photos in once photos get lost.
protect original data to avoid data overwritten.
Get more detailed tips on how to unerase photos
Once data got lost, you can search on Google. There are many photo recovery software such as Wondershare Photo Recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
You can recover images from a formatted memory card as well! Google it, there are some great softwares.

I got 1200 raw images off an 8gb card

That sucks. Hope you're able to get some of them back. I think the biggest thing is to not write new data to the card/drive. But I think even in that case some data can still be recovered. Like Twinky said, there's some good software out there to "undelete" those files. Even when the card is formatted. (Formatting doesn't erase the date, it just marks the space on the card/drive as "unused". The data is still there. You'd have to write over the data several times to ensure it's really gone.)

There is a program called Active Undelete. You can recover most files from any drive or memory card.

there is a program (in my signature its that good!)
Recuva - 100% free and is quick and gets about 90% of files back!

also OP is spammer.

there is a program (in my signature its that good!)
Recuva - 100% free and is quick and gets about 90% of files back!

also OP is spammer.

I have used a program compact flash recovery.

Google it, think there is a free trial on their website.

I have only used it once so am not to clued up on how the software fully functions.

I know a blog discussing file recovery and photo recovery. It's file recovery help. You may get many free file recovery and photo recovery programs there. Thanks

A feature/option I've always wanted was 'protect all' on the camera. You can go back and protect each shot one by one but as a default, I'd like to be able to make it a three step process or a passworded option to make darn sure.

One method I've been trying is to switch cards whenever the camera goes into the bag or during lulls in the action. Should anything happen to the data in one card, I may have half the session saved.

Protect all? Why bother. It won't stop a format, and if your camera is pushing buttons in a way that it can be turned on and photos deleted while it's in a bag, then you should seriously consider getting a new bag.

the sandisk rescue pro works really good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back