Accurate Representation

I do Fine Art Reproduction professionally and have tried very hard to resist commenting on this thread, but after your last comment I can't anymore.

No offense, but the client is just ignorant, and quite frankly so are you. When you don't realize what's possible, whatever you provide will look pretty good.

I'm glad the client is "happy" and I don't mean to come off as a jerk, I just get tired of constantly reshooting artwork that has been "professionally shot" by someone like you.

Ok, done venting, sorry about that.. :lol:

If that's the case, why not help the poor guy out with some tips then?

If that's the case, why not help the poor guy out with some tips then?

:lmao: Sure... Have your clients call us when they're ready to have the shots done right. :lmao:

http://www.gallerystreet.com

<sigh> Seriously, you're out of your element, and you're NEVER going to get a shot usable for actual reproductions with a 400D and the kit lens. Sorry.

If I HAD to do it with your equipment I'd do this...

Ditch the tungsten lights, go outside and shoot all of them under natural daylight.

Shoot at the lens' sharpest aperture.

Create custom input profiles by shooting a color checker any time the light changes .

Lastly square up your camera as much as possible with the art, it's still going to be distorted from the kit lens, but getting it square in the shot will prevent worse cropping later.

As I said, I'm sure it's fine for the A4 brochure, but you're really doing your client a disservice by not passing this on to someone more experienced.

A lot of persons get swept away with the philosophy "It's not the equipment, it's the photographer." Well, that's not exactly accurate. Yes, the photographer's ability is paramount but that ability is useless without the right tools. Many like to refer to Ansel Adams but they ignore the reasons why he didn't use a Kodak Brownie.

Yup, exactly.

There are times when a good photographer and a polaroid can outshoot somoene with a good camera, but we both know that with a little practice, equipment will improve the shot. It has to make a difference, else no one would buy anything more than a pinhole camera, ever. Nowhere is this more true than in lenses. A lens will often make more of an impact on quality than a new body.

That's very true, but the kit lens isn't the cheapest lens you can get either. It does what it's supposed to- take okay pictures while being a pricepoint included accessory.

The problem I had with Jerry's comments are...

... that you took it personally. No, I did not mean it like that, I meant it as I said it and as others understood me. :)

We all have what we can afford, bar none. The facts are what I was stating before.

You can be "serious" with a $5 throw away camera, I just think that one needs to remain grounded as to the realities that better equipment does = better results when used properly.

If this wasn't true, your camera's output would equal that 22MP beast of Canon's.

The word "good" is truly relative.

Most reactions

Back