ACK! i may buy my first american car.. need convincing!!!!

I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee.

The turn signals don't click off automatically, it has no A/C, and the automatic transmission sticks (or whatever, I don't know, I'm not a car person lol), so when accelerating from a stop your have to put the car into first manually and then put it into Drive, otherwise it will be stuck in like 3rd when trying to take off.

'Merica.

Well, that's just par for the course with a 16-year-old car, 'Merican or no :)

In college, I drove a 12-year-old Chevy Chevette. Rusted out floorboard under the clutch, not a single working gauge on the dash, and the rusty tailpipe broke one night coming home from the movies. I'm sure it was sparking dramatically as it dragged along the asphalt. I had to hitch it up with a wire coat hanger until I could get it fixed. The clutch decided that it was going to start slipping just as I was making a left turn across three lanes of traffic (there were no cars when I made the turn and got stuck in the middle lane, but then the light turned and they all headed towards me. Luckily, the clutch slipped back in long enough to get me home!)

But I also used to drive an 8-year-old VW Dasher (yes, this was a long time ago. It was a '79 and I drove it the summer of '88.) The gauges were broken, the ignition was faulty and I had to hotwire it until my father wired it to a button on the dash (which apparently is now all the rage), the horn didn't work either until my father wired it to a second button on the dash. The headlights would randomly cut out, but they could be shocked back on by opening up a door and slamming it shut (while moving, of course). The window crank gave up the ghost one day as I was sitting at a red light - it just shot right across the cabin. Oh, and it was a diesel, so it went 0-60 in about 3.2 minutes flat. Of course, when I did finally get it moving, it cornered great and had a fun little racing clutch.

The only "american" vehicle would be an f-150 because they are so damn cheap to run because of the popularity and cheapness of parts.

Besides, all the large automakers have american factories, so really all brands are american made. Also American brands have factories in other countries. Not to mention that designs are developed internationally.

The whole "Buy American" is a silly concept in today's global market.

The turn signals don't click off automatically, it has no A/C, and the automatic transmission sticks (or whatever, I don't know, I'm not a car person lol), so when accelerating from a stop your have to put the car into first manually and then put it into Drive, otherwise it will be stuck in like 3rd when trying to take off.

'Merica.

Well, that's just par for the course with a 16-year-old car, 'Merican or no :)

In college, I drove a 12-year-old Chevy Chevette. Rusted out floorboard under the clutch, not a single working gauge on the dash, and the rusty tailpipe broke one night coming home from the movies. I'm sure it was sparking dramatically as it dragged along the asphalt. I had to hitch it up with a wire coat hanger until I could get it fixed. The clutch decided that it was going to start slipping just as I was making a left turn across three lanes of traffic (there were no cars when I made the turn and got stuck in the middle lane, but then the light turned and they all headed towards me. Luckily, the clutch slipped back in long enough to get me home!)

But I also used to drive an 8-year-old VW Dasher (yes, this was a long time ago. It was a '79 and I drove it the summer of '88.) The gauges were broken, the ignition was faulty and I had to hotwire it until my father wired it to a button on the dash (which apparently is now all the rage), the horn didn't work either until my father wired it to a second button on the dash. The headlights would randomly cut out, but they could be shocked back on by opening up a door and slamming it shut (while moving, of course). The window crank gave up the ghost one day as I was sitting at a red light - it just shot right across the cabin. Oh, and it was a diesel, so it went 0-60 in about 3.2 minutes flat. Of course, when I did finally get it moving, it cornered great and had a fun little racing clutch.

Haha my grandpa, who's a lifelong rancher, has a Chevy that is kind of like the first car you described. The ignition doesn't work until you pull this lever in the floorboard that he installed. It flips the switch that allows the engine to turnover (I think). And only the speedometer works, so he has to calculate how much gas he has by mileage. lol

I wouldn't want to have it as my main truck, but it's really fun to drive.

Thats like saying "Just pick Nikon or Canon and be done with it" :)

it's more like buying a d600 and then dealing with the camera being in the shop constantly.

We own 2 volkswagens (mine is turbo). Not a single problem with them. Change the oil and keep up on maintenance. Mine is even flashed and modded pushing 300hp (up from 200 stock) and not a single hiccup from it. VW/Audi reliability has come a lonnnggggg way in the past 5 years. People still throw that unreliable crap around like it's still 2003.

BMW - well, that's what a warranty is for.

American cars have come a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. Some of the Fords are really interesting. The new Corvette looks INSANE, and Corvette has been doing some interesting stuff for a good 15 years or so now. Cadillac has some really interesting styling going on, and some SERIOUS muscle in a few of their cars. Some of the new throwbacks (Charger and the like) are really nice looking and have some serious power.

However...

I still wouldn't buy one.

I've driven a few of these, as someone who has owned VWs, Acuras and Hondas... and someone who was raised on Audis and Porsches... and someone who has spent time behind the wheel on a LOT of cars... American cars still have some American choices and they're glaringly painful. Like my buddy's Jeep that has an LCD screen that does NOT dim when it's dark. It's a silly stupid thing, but holy crap what a poor design. Buttons, labeling, materials... they're SO much better... but they're still not quite there.

Still, if you go all-out different, it may be so staggeringly so as you won't care.

I applaud your manly choice in automotive transportation. :hail:

When it comes time to sell that magnificent beast i recommend you follow this mans example:
http://enid.craigslist.org/cto/4119280944.html</div>

Here is a snippet from the 'for-sale ad' of his 97 Cherokee...
If you do not own a toolbox, have never changed your own oil, and are scared of firearms: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you have been posting on facebook all about how excited you are for pumpkin latte season: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you get offended easy and often, whine to your co-workers, and ***** a lot: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you feel you are owed anything in the world & have a bull**** job where you fail to produce: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you own a bieber album, white oakleys, affliction t-shirts, or those candy-assed stitched-pocket jeans: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you consider the 2nd Amendment an anachronistic relic and have never owned a firearm: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.

If, however, you have BALLS OF STEEL and consider adverse weather an excuse to do stupid ****: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.
Do you laugh at danger, and tempt fate?
Have you ever uttered the words, "Hold my beer and watch this ..."?
While bored at work do you pick targets at random and think, "I could hit that from here with the .22 ..."?
Have any of your friends quit hanging out because you were too much fun?
Do you have the number of a friend with cash memorized for bail?
When you pass an abandoned flatbed farm truck along a fenceline do you consider taking on another project?
Is your ol' lady really sick of the random piles of parts, greasy footprints, and empty beer bottles in the garage?
-could you not care less?
Do you have Jalopnik saved on your laptop AND smartphone?
Do you own a service manual for every vehicle you ever owned?
Do you still miss your first ride?
Can you carry on a two hour conversation discussing tools, scars, and hi-lift jacks?
Remember when tool companies had the balls to put half-naked beauty queens on their calendars?
Do you consider the Prius an abominable affront to the Gods of displacement, torque, and All Mighty Internal Combustion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back