ACK! i may buy my first american car.. need convincing!!!!

I own a WRX too, guess what my wife calls me for that?

Full disclosure... other cars i've looked at:
BMW M3 (E93) coup .. getting harder to find :(
Mini Cooper S (John cooper works edition) .. Another car my wife thinks i'd look silly in.
Audi S4/S5
Infinity G37x... boring.. but my wife likes Infinitys.
Ford Mustang GT...

The question of this thread should be.... If your wife said "Go get a fun car.. priced within reason" (lets say up to $60k-ish).. what would YOU get?

Of that list, I'd have the M3. I'd like the Mini or the A4 but for me, maintenance costs are a factor, and though parts are probably equivalent, from what I understand, Minis and Audis are harder to work on. This would mean less that can be done by myself (with the boyfriend's help, for full disclosure!)

Don't get the Infinity. With all due respect to your wife, don't get something that you think is boring just because she likes it. If you didn't care and just thought of cars as nothing more than appliances that get you somewhere you want to go, then fine, listen to her. But you clearly do care, so I'd say cross that one off the list!

My 2nd car was a VW Rabbit GTI... Man i wish i still had that car :)

I love mine. Lots of fun, great handling, 30MPG (give or take), and when I need to fit stuff in, there's more room than you might imagine.

The MkVII Golf R sounds nice, though it'll be another year or so before it hits the States. I wouldn't trade my MkV for a MkVI, but I'll definitely look into a 2014/15 Golf R when it's available.

Of that list, I'd have the M3. I'd like the Mini or the A4 but for me, maintenance costs are a factor, and though parts are probably equivalent, from what I understand, Minis and Audis are harder to work on. This would mean less that can be done by myself (with the boyfriend's help, for full disclosure!)

Don't get the Infinity. With all due respect to your wife, don't get something that you think is boring just because she likes it. If you didn't care and just thought of cars as nothing more than appliances that get you somewhere you want to go, then fine, listen to her. But you clearly do care, so I'd say cross that one off the list!

I have always loved M3's... but the current used prices are (IMHO) not right. that makes my frugality kick in. (Fun Fact #1.. A 335ci is faster in a straight line then the same year M3). If i was to buy a BMW right now it would be a BMW 135i (Fun Fact #2.. A BMW 135i has abut the same HP as the porsche cayman s) .. and if i got a BMW 135i it would be the convertible one... then my wife would always take it.

As for the Infinity... My wife just bought a new 'soccer mom' Infinity JX35 a few months ago. With the new Q50's coming out the dealer would give us a SCREAMING deal on a 2013 G37x. Its not a BAD car.. and the all-wheel-drive would be nice in the snow.. It's on my list for frugality and practicality reasons :)

My mechanic only works on German cars.. he says they all are about the same when it comes to working on them. With that said.. on a A4 you have to pull the entire motor out to change the timing belt = $$$$$$. (I've never kept my BMW sedans/roadster long enough to have much work done on them)

Mine was a 1984 :)

Mini driver (well, I steal it from my wife when I can) here. I can attest to the fact that I look incredibly silly driving the Mini, but don't care. At all. Driving it is worth it. That's what you really have to ask yourself. If you enjoy driving it, who cares if you look like a stereotype?

But hold up, I'mma let you finish, but the M3 is the greatest car of about all time. OK, it's no Zonda, but in terms of performance AND practicality, it's one of the best.

Well.. I gave it my best shot.. but after driving the Camaro again this weekend (2012 2SS) i ended up buying another Audi (2011 S4). At the end of the day i couldn't get past the American-ness of the car (focus on power.. not so much on handling).

The Audi gives me a little bit of crazy with enough practical to get by.. In two more years my oldest will be in collage and i can take the money i save on his food and spend it on super crazy :) (or retirement.. but phhhffft.. who needs that :) )

A collage college?

If I had 70k, I would put it in an IRA account. I'm not very fun :/

A collage college?

He's 6'8" ~220lb on a specialized diet eating me out of house and home (~$1000 a month in food and supplements)... What ever school he decides to play for (football) will feed him :)

Last edited:
I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee.

The turn signals don't click off automatically, it has no A/C, and the automatic transmission sticks (or whatever, I don't know, I'm not a car person lol), so when accelerating from a stop your have to put the car into first manually and then put it into Drive, otherwise it will be stuck in like 3rd when trying to take off.

'Merica.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back