Action Lens and Tips for Action shots

DeityGraphix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to the board but am really anxious to get more in depth into photography. It really is a passion that has always been here with me.. just very slowly developing.

My primary subjects are dogs. I do a lot of K9 sporting events and competitions with my dogs and I find it extremely difficult to get good, clear, properly exposed action shots--both indoors and out.

I am on here to ask everyone here what they would suggest for an action lens? What kind of settings do I use for my camera? Anyother tips and ideas?

I have a Canon Rebel XTi.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming you want crisp, sharp shots of the dogs in action. That means you will need a faster shutter speed to freeze the movement.
The shutter speed you can use, comes from a few different factors. Most importantly is the amount of light. Outdoors in bright light, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but indoors, in an arena etc., it can be very challenging.

The first thing you can do, is to use a large aperture (low F number). The larger the aperture, the faster you shutter speed can be. Second is the ISO. The higher the ISO, the faster your shutter speed can be...but it does add digital noise so you likely won't want to use your highest settings. 800 is probably OK, 1600 and higher would be pusing it with your camera.

Even that might not be enough. The limiting factor may be the lens. That's why many people buy 'faster' lenses (larger maximum aperture). So instead of a lens with a max aperture of F3.5 to F5.6 (changes with the zoom), you could get a lens that has a max aperture of F2.8 throughout the zoom range. These lenses get expensive though.

Another upgrade could be the camera body. Some cameras perform much better at higher ISO levels. Something like a 5D mk II, could get pretty good results at ISO 3200 and maybe even 6400, which could give you much faster shutter speeds than ISO 800.

Yet another option could be to add your own light. Using flash, for example, can really help to freeze subject movement, but you may not want (or be allowed) to use flash for something like this.

I shot dogs often and print on site here's a link to a few i have uploaded
Dog Vagas Ashbourne - Gary Clarke's Photos you will be able to see the settings if you want to know more just ask

Wow.. beautiful shots gsgary! Those are precisly the type of clerity I want to achive. I have tried .. but will fail always. Hmm. here are a few of my photos.. maybe it will help to see what I may be doing wrong? I couldn't tell you the settings used however.

_MG_1038.jpg

_MG_0903.jpg

And how do I change the aperture speed on my camera?
Time to read the manual again (and again). ;)

You camera has an aperture priority mode (Av). In this mode, the control dial changes the aperture and the camera gives you the corresponding shutter speed.

The biggest problem with your first shot is the harsh sunlight but it can be sorted just a very quick try
806533800_5qSML-L.jpg

your settings were auto iso800, F16, 1/1600 which is way off the mark because you let your camera choose
I would be on manual iso100 F4 about 1/1000, but for you try aperture priority lens wide open center focus point only AI servo and adjust exposure compensation to get histogram correct shutter speed needs to be above 1/500 if you can't get that turn your iso to 200
Shooting indoors is total new ball game where expensive lenses are needed
here's another link to some indoor agility that i had to shoot at iso3200 so the 5D came out
Dog vegas (march) - Gary Clarke's Photos

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back