Actual photo or altered do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crumpybumpy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Full moon over tower.....do you think this result was actually achieved with 1 shot using camera and telephoto lens, or the moon was photoshopped in after the fact? I have attempted pictures like this using up to a 500 mm nikon telephoto but never got such a result.

Last edited:
It could be real but on the other hand, it would be easy to edit...

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Where did you find this image? If it's not yours, we ask that you just link to it rather than post images that you have no copyright to. Thanks!

I'm letting the thread continue, but with the link in lieu of the the image. If the OP can show it is their photo, it can be reposted.

With a long enough lens it could certainly be real. The almost-full moon would be low in the sky, and from the long shadows on the tower, the sun is also pretty low behind our viewpoint, which would match the moon phase we see.

The only real thing I've ever seen on a computer screen is dust.

Of course it could be real if:

1. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

2. You were willing to sit for hours/days/weeks/months until the scene presents itself.

Or in about 5 mins you could easily create it in photoshop.

Reactions: pez
That is definitely achievable in camera if you are positioned correctly and know what you’re doing. Especially when the moon is rising or setting during daylight or blue hour. You don’t need to sit for hours or weeks - you just need to know how to use an app to show the moon trajectory and moonrise/moon set times. TPE or PhotoPills or PlanIt or Sun Surveyor will all give you this info. The further back you can get with a long zoom the larger the moon will appear.

Full moon over tower.....do you think this result was actually achieved with 1 shot using camera and telephoto lens, or the moon was photoshopped in after the fact? I have attempted pictures like this using up to a 500 mm nikon telephoto but never got such a result.

Unfortunately with the advent of digital usage, if that was the gear used almost every landscape image is suspect.

@marshm-3 As others have said, it might be possible to achieve a similar result in camera, but in the case of the image in your OP it is a sky swap, and not a very good one at that. You don't have to enlarge it very much to see the artifacts from a sloppy cut out.
123.jpg
1234.jpg

Last edited:
Of course it could be real if:

2. You were willing to sit for hours/days/weeks/months until the scene presents itself.

There are apps that will show you exactly where the sun & moon will rise in relationship to a pin on a map. One merely needs to marry up a date / time with a proper camera location. Will take less time than 5 minutes in PhotoShop.

All in the comfort of your own home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back