Adding movement to water

Kerri Rae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was editing some pictures and was wondering if there is anyway to get that cottoncandy/milky look in the water here, can it be done? If you do get it done, PLEASE let me know what steps you took to get it in order to help me learn. Thanks!

1218174649_fae62faac5_b.jpg

P.S. What a lucky bride I was to take my own wedding pictures!

That's perfect, thank you very much.

I just finished reading this book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's worth a re-read. The cotton-candy effect will happen at a shutter speed of 1/4 sec., 1 second with a polarizing filter at f/22. Or try metering on the green, dropping -2/3 underexposure at f/19.

I know how to get it, thank you for the help. This picture is being salvaged and was actually supposed to be framed with very little water in the shot, it was done from a tripod which was bumped and re-positioned by a passing tourist while on self timer. I don't even know why I like it so much, I just thought it had some potential. Thanks for your help!

(The reason I didn't do anything slower than 1/20 was because of the fast moving child in the picture, subject matter makes a huge difference with slower shutter speeds)

It would be very easy to do using the teqnique in the above tutorial if it wasn't for the fact that the water has varying angles throughout the shot, at least 12-15 in order to make it look realistic, since it goes from one side to another as it falls down the levels of rocks, It will take some time But I'll post it when It's done.

Most reactions

Back