Adice needed on workflow and catalogue issues

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Following on from some considerable issues I've had I have decided to look again at my cataloguing and workflow procedures.

Initially I was taking the images from my cards and importing them to my hard drive, Mac, via Lightroom, this wasn't a big deal as I was only selecting the ones I wanted and deleting the rest.

Now I have an external SSD and I have been having some problems. I would like to know how others deal with importing utilising an SSD. It has been suggested to me, by a non photographer/user of adobe, that I should upload the files/photos to my SSD first using my own structure and then import the files into LR, giving LR its own folder on the SSD and leave it do it business and not go near it afterward. Would this be the right way to go about it ?. The SSD is a 3 TB unit.

I would welcome suggestions that would help me going forward,

Thanks,

So far 55 viewers and no responses, I don't know why I bother posting.

Here is a link to a more detailed description of the trouble I was having, its a post from a few weeks past. Help required with Lightroom library Photography Forum

Last edited:
okay i was going to say...

Why aren't you just importing with LR and doing everything there? why move to drive first?

Last edited:
I import with LR to an external disk connected to my mac. At that time the RAW files have the yyyymmdd added in front of the file name (eliminates any chance of a duplicate file name). Also select any develop and metadata preset to apply at that time.

Why aren't you just importing with LR and doing everything there? why move to drive first?[/QUOTE]

I import with LR to an external disk connected to my mac. At that time the RAW files have the yyyymmdd added in front of the file name (eliminates any chance of a duplicate file name). Also select any develop and metadata preset to apply at that time.

That was what I was doing but one day Lightroom announced that all my photos had lost there source and I had to attempt to relink them but my edits were entirely lost meaning I had to restart that process.

FYI backups didn't do what I thought they did.

Did you move the physical files after you imported them into LR?

your backup is a single file that says "here all where all my pictures are, and here is how i edited them". It's only a reference file.

This is from LR documents:

• After you start working in Lightroom, if you need to move or rename photos — say that your hard drive fills up and you have to switch to an external drive — perform those tasks from within Lightroom. Do not use the Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac OS) to move photos. If you do, you’ll likely encounter the dreaded “photos are missing” error and you’ll have to relink everything.

No What I did originally was download them from a memory card, camera, onto the storage via lightroom. I selected the location using ligtroom preferences for name, date, etc, the same way the adobe videos suggest, that was fine until one day BOSCH they disappeared from the LR libary even images which I had selected for online media. Backups files were locatable but were not accessible, i.e. were shaded out in the relevant section of finder.

the only time that's happened to me was when I moved files from one drive to another and didn't relink properly. Unsure what the dealio here is.

When they 'disappeared' from LR, could you locate them using the Windows Explorer or some other file viewer?

You have a 3 terabyte SSD?

upload_2015-7-22_13-55-55.png

When they 'disappeared' from LR, could you locate them using the Windows Explorer or some other file viewer?

Some I could locate but I could only link them to un edited raw meaning my edits, LR & PS that were in LR catalogs would have to be re done. It appears as if LR has no link to files which were previously saved using LR cataloguing. To frank I would appreciate if people would say ye or ne to my strategy as mentioned in my original thread.

It is difficult to say yes or no to a strategy because it isn't clear what is going on.
If you can't find the files using the OS file manager then it is very possible that it is the storage medium itself that is losing the files and LR is not at fault.

LR doesn't hold the files internally, the catalog is just that, a database of where they are, what has been done to them as raw files and other data.

If the files are actually physically missing, LR doesn't have anything to do with that.

If you backup LR routinely, you can open an older version to see if the files appear in that.

I run my system drive (c drive) on a 512GB SSD - lightroom is installed here.
I import photos onto my secondary laptop drive a 7200rpm HDD via lightroom.
I then run a full backup monthly of that HDD, and differential backups daily to my NAS - this would be time machine in your case.

I end up with a copy on SD card (eventually disappears).
Copy on 7200rpm.
Monthly backups (keep 1 year of full backups)
and 365 differential backups.

I can go back to any point/time pretty much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back