Adobe are SCUM

@Derrel my business law professor in college was a practicing attorney who taught classes on the side because he loved the law, he later became my friend and company attorney. His words still remain, if it isn't in writing it doesn't exist, so make damned sure you cover everything you need to in your contracts. He also said edit your contracts in 12 point, and print them in 6 point. While not making an effort to draw attention to penalty clauses might be distasteful to some, it certainly isn't illegal. I mean we are talking about adults who should be wearing their big boy/girl pants when considering any contract for service, be it photography, utility, cable, etc. Ignorance of the terms is not a valid excuse in a court room, unless the wording is so ambiguous that the meaning would be unclear to most people.

Unlike other contracts, service contracts are generally written such that you have to accept the terms or go elsewhere. If enough people refused to sign, the company would have no choice but to modify the terms. In Adobe's case that doesn't appear to be a problem.

Actually I believe the UK/EU did pass legislation against the practice of tiny/fine print in contracts. Whilst the information is still there its a clear attempt to be deceptive by printing information of a size which is difficult to read and which is only done to discourage reading.

Also many contracts are not actually legal. Software companies are notorious for having contracts which would not stand up in court; they got away with it because basically no one on either side ever really came to the table to challenge/enforce some aspects. Though its better now but it is a sign that computer law is lagging behind practice.

The other aspect is cost; for most people challenging bit company contracts isn't worth it in the short nor long run financially speaking.

That said an early contract termination clause (as cited in the original post of this thread) is pretty standard practice for many companies both small and large. One or two months rent; half the policy etc... are all pretty standard.

I'd considered getting LR/PS but now that I know the details I never will. Rest assured your vengence is bearing fruit the more you let people know about what they're truly up to. It's bad enough they want you to pay yearly the price it used to be to just own it. I second the advice to contact your CC and report the fruadulent charges before canceling the card altogether if they won't cooperate.

Last edited:
"Prepare to bend over and lube up!!"
lmao. They didn't even try using spit, let alone lube!

This may have well been their marketing material:
screen_shot_2017_10_26_at_5_47_57_pm_by_danostergren-dbrtmzb.png

pixmedic said:
But the fact remains that for many many peopke, adobe cc is the best deal around.

Yeah...the people that cannot do math...I wasted $240 with NO UPDATES to the software that had any value to me. So I went back to a purchased and owned copy of Lightroom, and earlier, purchased-and-owned versions of Photoshop.

BUYING a software application that does not rely on an internet connection and constant snooping on the customer is an easier way, and saves money in a very short amount of time.

Look...I was with Adobe Photoshop since version 2.1. Adobe Cretin Cloud promises "updates", but what it really does, for many people, is to suck money off of their bank card, every month, for long time frames.

The "best deal" is to BUY software, and to OWN it.

pixmedic said:
But the fact remains that for many many peopke, adobe cc is the best deal around.

Yeah...the people that cannot do math...I wasted $240 with NO UPDATES to the software that had any value to me. So I went back to a purchased and owned copy of Lightroom, and earlier, purchased-and-owned versions of Photoshop.

BUYING a software application that does not rely on an internet connection and constant snooping on the customer is an easier way, and saves money in a very short amount of time.

Look...I was with Adobe Photoshop since version 2.1. Adobe Cretin Cloud promises "updates", but what it really does, for many people, is to suck money off of their bank card, every month, for long time frames.

I agree. I don't even like car leases so when the CC came out I kept buying the LR. I went from LR 4.x to 6.x to support my D750. It's good to know that the LR 6.x will support the D850 as any cameras in my near future would be either a D850, X-T2 / X-T20 or possibly a D7200/d7100.

BTW, I have some structural concerns with the statement 'Adobe are scum'. Shouldn't it be 'Adobe IS scum', grammatically?

pixmedic said:

so....dont subscribe to adobe CC. problem solved, crisis averted, the town is saved.
whats the best alternative to PS AND LR?
how much software do you have to purchase to equal ( not just "come close") to PS and LR combined? can such a thing even be done?
sure, you can buy software that is almost as powerful as PS ...but most often I see software like capture one and affinity compared to Lightrooms editing capabilities, not photoshops. so what can I purchase that gives me equal editing power to PS as well as equal cataloging power of LR?
not to mention the endless number of custom presets that can be downloaded, and LR's non-destructive editing features.
im down for looking at other options if adobe CC isnt the best anymore, but if the only complaint is the subscription service...ill just keep paying my measly two lattes a month to have the best of the best (of the best).
totally worth it for us to have the two most powerful and efficient editing programs on the planet.

Three years ago I signed up to adobe cc. Three months in I had a technical issue which meant the thing wasn't working for me so I got on to adobe support. As you all know abobe provide absolutely awful support for there paying plebeians, customers, and they escalated me round the house for a further three months, FYI I am hobbyist.

Eventually I got so fed up with the situation that I turned to adobes facebook profile and voiced my problems and opinion of customer service, posted 5 times a day for 4 days straight. On the fifth day I got a phone call from California, I live in Ireland, and they fixed my issue as I spoke to them on the phone but being that I was so aggravated I demanded a full refund and I got it. Now the women on the phone didn't care a damn she just wanted the face book posts to stop, probably some underling was to put me on a blacklist but never did. Upshot of that was I had full accesses to the software for 2 years after free of charge, didn't use the cloud bit though.

My point is unless customers air there grievances publicly and or switch to alternate products those Liquor store hold up men have nothing to worry about. A tip regarding contracts set a remminder on your phone or PC to alert you 11 months after signing up to give you time to exit free of charge. I also no longer use adobe.

Last edited:
I've been using Lightroom via monthly subscription for a few years but have finally decided that it is time to move on. When I went to the Adobe site to cancel I was faced with a fairly significant cancellation fee. Turns out that the anniversary of my signing on with Adobe was Sep 31 and that they want 50% of the subscription fee until next Sep 31. The will automatically bill by credit card as soon as I cancel - I have no choice or say in the matter. The only time you can cancel penalty free is on the anniversary of your original signing.

I can understand being hit with a penalty if you cancel within the first year, but after that you should be able to quit any time without penalty. I know there must be fine print that makes what Adobe is doing legal - but they are still scum.

pacta sunt servanda

I know a lot of people who are angry at Adobe. If you do not like the cake do not eat it and if you sign a contreact read it first.

I had to pay another full year in my swimming club although the swimming club is next to useless to me, because they accepted to many members and the bath is always so crowded (and dirty) that I can not and do not want to swim a relaxed round or two per week anymore. A FULL YEAR!!!

But it is not a secret. I don't see why Adobe are at fault for people not reading before they buy.

Its not a secret but its surrounded by a wall of marketing and buzz words.

the two most powerful and efficient editing programs on the planet

No they aren't.
Why not address the rest of my post then and answer my question?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

PS & LR are powerful but not efficient

I use Affinity and what I have determined is: You cant compare the two separate programs that is Lr & PS to it. Affinity is effectively a clone of Ps with the usability of Lr. PS is very good but it has being going for a long time in one form or another and thus can be cumbersome and also scary to use for the uninitiated, because Adobe just layer on the updates year after year without getting rid of the dross from decades ago. Affinity on the other hand was developed only in the last few years, they have taken 95% of whats good about PS and made it far more user friendly and for only a fraction of the price.

Now where adobe wins with consumers is with LR and thats why PS is being sold as a mere bonus in the CC structure. At the moment I am looking for a alternate to LR which Affinity isn't at all and the likes of capture 1 pro is to expensive. If there were a CC deal for LR at say $6 as a standalone I would consider that but it wont happen cause Adobe are shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back