Adobe Photoshop CS3 Beta Available December 15

RoRoCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For those of you that are interested. Adobe is releasing the CS3 beta tomorrow for CS2 owners (not hackers as you need a valid serial number).

Adobe Press Release

If this is old news...than sorry and happy holidays?

:x You beat me to it, RoRo.

Oh well. Happy editing, everyone!

upgrading this program every couple of years is a waste of cash, I've worked on each version since 4 and I cant say much has really changed apart from how much money I've wasted, I'me now on CS and have made a decision not to upgrade anymore.

I tend to agree with Harry. I've had v7, cs, and now cs2. Can't see a whole lot of difference from 7-cs2 though some things work a little smoother. At the same time, you can do all the same things w/ 7 with a little more effort, and 7 seems to load much quicker. Though I can't remember if 7 was able to work w/ RAW images though ?

Johnboy2978 said:
I tend to agree with Harry. I've had v7, cs, and now cs2. Can't see a whole lot of difference from 7-cs2 though some things work a little smoother. At the same time, you can do all the same things w/ 7 with a little more effort, and 7 seems to load much quicker. Though I can't remember if 7 was able to work w/ RAW images though ?

I have version 7 and can't open the RAW images from my K100D. :( Been thinking about upgrading so that I can work with them.

I find it hard, very hard, to believe that nothing much has changed since version 4. I'm not saying to run out and upgrade, but let's keep it real. Photoshop has changed quite a bit over the years, especially as Andie pointed out, from version 7, to CS and CS2.

i agree with matt... if you only use photoshop for general picture alterations and such, you probably wont notice much difference. But the functions and tools which have been added to photoshop over the years have really improved the application. I'v used it from ps4 onwards... and have noticed many differences.
Whether i can afford to switch to CS3 tho is a another problem :razz:

Ha, I just asked for cs2 for x-mas. Oh well maybe when cs6 comes out I'll upgrade. It better be able to clean my dishes though!

After reading about nightmare problems with the Beta version, I'm going to hold off, as I would suggest to anyone who makes a living from photography. I've heard some pretty hellish stuff from a lot of the pros out there.

Obviously I've noted the new tools etc but I could do the same with version 4 as I now do with 8, What I am saying is that dropping a load of cash bi-annually into adobe's lap isn't going to drastically improve anything you do in this program, or, for that matter your photography.
Being a slave to camera/program updates just lightens the wallet, I, like many others here, began with film and a 60 quid olympus om10, I now use digital for all my commercial work, spend hours processing etc and end up with photographs no better or worse than those from 20 years back which cost a lot less to produce (relatively)

This topic only confirms my desire to stay with film as long as film makers will let me (I think.. If I keep buying hopefully they WONT stop making).
Although I definatley feel the pressure to go digital and will fight it as long as I can!!!

neea said:
This topic only confirms my desire to stay with film as long as film makers will let me (I think.. If I keep buying hopefully they WONT stop making).
Although I definatley feel the pressure to go digital and will fight it as long as I can!!!
Can we keep the digital vs. film thing out of this?

CS added the ability to use adjustment layers with 16-bit images. 7 can't do them. This is a huge deal for me. The average shooter isn't going to care about that and would probably be better off with Elements.

Software isn't any different than a camera...

If you want to upgrade and get the new features do it... if your use for Photoshop doesn't require the latest greatest features then don't upgrade. :thumbup:

the list will change before it's released but this is for the BETA version:

New Features

New features for the Photoshop CS3 beta include the following:
  • Non-destructive Smart Filters
    Smart Filters are Photoshop filters that are applied non-destructively, and that remain live and re-editable. To apply a Smart Filter, select one or more layers and choose Filter->Convert for Smart Filters. The selected layer(s) will be converted to a Smart Object, to which you can apply filters non-destructively. Smart Filters appear as parameters under the layer to which they have been applied. Edit the Smart Filter mask to adjust the filter’s effects on different areas of the image. Note that any filter is treated as a Smart Filter when you apply it to a Smart Object.
  • Quick Selection Tool
    The new Quick Selection Tool creates selections by painting the general area of interest. Photoshop CS3 analyzes the image to complete the selection automatically. To remove pixels from a selection, hold the Opt (Mac)/Alt (Win) key and paint. You'll find the Quick Selection tool in the same slot as the Lasso tool in the Tools palette.
  • Refine Edge
    The new Refine Edge feature offers a simple, flexible way to modify the edge of any selection. Available via the Options bar or via the Select menu, the Refine Edge dialog lets you smooth, feather, contract or expand the current selection by using simple slider controls. Experiment with the Radius slider to select irregular or fuzzy edges.
  • Automatic layer alignment and blending
    Using automatic layer alignment and blending, easily combine the best parts of multiple images of the same scene into one "best" image. Simply place multiple, related images on separate layers in one document, and let Photoshop CS3 analyze the contents, moving and rotating the layers so they overlap as precisely as possible. Then use the masking tools to reveal the areas you need from different layers to finalize the elements of the composite image. Automatic layer blending seamlessly blends the color and shading into the final image. The "Auto-Align Layers" and "Auto-Blend Layers" commands are both found in the Edit menu. Note that you must have multiple layers selected simultaneously in the Layers palette before you can apply these commands.
  • Vanishing Point with multiple, adjustable angle perspective planes
    One of the most powerful new features of Photoshop CS2 is now even more flexible. Vanishing Point adjusts brush strokes, healing and cloning as you paint over its perspective planes. In Photoshop CS3, you are no longer restricted to adding planes at 90-degree angles. You can now quickly and easily create multiple planes in any image, connected at any angle. In addition, artwork (for example, a product label pasted from the clipboard) can be wrapped around multiple planes simultaneously. To adjust angles of planes, use the Alt/Option key when dragging on a side point of a plane, or enter a specific angle in the Angle field in the dialog.
  • Black and White conversion
    Advanced black-and-white conversion is now simpler and faster. With the new Black and White adjustment, one button analyzes the image and offers conversion settings. Fine-tune your image with simple sliders that control the conversion of each color. Click and drag any portion of any image to adjust the corresponding tonal range (for example, click and drag on a red car to lighten or darken all red tones). The improved Channel Mixer adjustment includes new black-and-white presets, the ability to save your own settings as presets for reuse later, and the new Total indicator that keeps you informed on the total percentage contribution from all three color channels.
  • Enhanced Adobe Camera Raw
    Camera Raw 4.0 now features Fill Light, Recovery, and Vibrance controls; a parametric tone curve; sophisticated black & white and split toning controls; and more.

And for da bridge:

New Features in Bridge CS3
  • Using Bridge CS3 with Bridge 1.0
    Bridge 1.0 and Bridge CS3 can both be installed on the same computer. When Bridge CS3 is launched for the first time, the preferences from Bridge 1.0 are automatically imported. Subsequently, changes to the preferences settings of Bridge CS3 and Bridge 1.0 do not affect each other. Exported thumbnail caches from Bridge 1.0 are used by Bridge CS3 when present. Startup Scripts installed for Bridge 1.0 must be moved manually to the Bridge CS3 Startup Scripts directory. Bridge 1.0 cannot use scripts installed for Bridge CS3. The location for custom startup scripts for Bridge CS3 is:
    • Win: %CommonProgramFiles%\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS3\
    • Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS3/
  • Faster Thumbnails
    This release offers improved performance and more control over the display of thumbnails. For some file formats such as camera raw and Photoshop, it is possible to control the quality of the thumbnail displayed: Quick Thumbnails use the thumbnail embedded in the file if present, while High Quality thumbnails are thumbnails rendered with image settings applied to them. The default behavior can be selected in the Preferences > Thumbnail section. In addition, the commands Edit > Generate High Quality Thumbnail and Edit > Generate Quick Thumbnail can be used to control the setting of selected items. In the Preferences > Advanced section, Color Management can be turned on or off. When Color Management is on, thumbnails may be displayed more accurately but more slowly. Note that there is more space available to display the filename below the thumbnails and the name may be displayed on two lines if necessary.
  • Enhanced Preview Panel
    The Preview panel can display multiple files for side-by-side comparison. Simply select up to nine files in the Content pane and they will be displayed side by side in the Preview panel. Click on the image in the Preview Panel to bring the Loupe tool. Change the magnification of the Loupe by pressing the +/- keys or by using the scrollwheel on your mouse. Files can be displayed up at up to 8x the original fill size (i.e. full size previews). Multiple loupes can be displayed by pressing the Command (Mac)/Control (Win) key while clicking on an image in the Preview panel. Loupes can be dragged in lockstep by pressing the Command (Mac)/Control (Win) while dragging.
  • Improved Slideshow
    For a full size view of your images, select View > Slideshow. You can customize the settings of the Slideshow by selection View > Slideshow Options. While in Slideshow mode, to magnify an image up to 800% of actual size click on the image. Click again to revert back. The magnification level can be controlled using the +/- keys or using the scrollwheel.
  • Stacks
    Create stacks to group a set of related documents together. Stacks are useful for keeping multiple photos of the same subject in one place, and they reduce clutter in the Content Panel. Stacks are also useful for collecting image sequences into a group that can be ‘scrubbed’ in the Content Panel. To create a new stack, select multiple items and select Edit > Stacks > Group as Stack. You can also use drag and drop to add or remove items from a stack. To collapse or expand a stack, click on the stack indicator (the number at the top left of the stack). When collapsed, use the scrubber (displayed next to the stack indicator) to quickly view the content of the stack without expanding it.
  • New Filter Panel
    To quickly filter files displayed in the current folder, use the Filter panel. The Filter panel displays an overview of the files in the current directory. Clicking on an entry in the filter panel will change the Content panel to only display items that match this entry. Several entries can be selected to display the relevant items. The Filter panel allows instant searching of items with a single click and gives you the flexibility and power of a database without having to import your files first. The filter gets reset when you navigate to a new directory. To keep the filter applied instead, click on the pushpin icon in the Filter Panel. To clear the filter, click the Reset icon at the bottom of the Filter panel.
  • Metadata
    To indicate that you have reviewed a file and decided to reject it, select Label > Reject. This new rating, in addition to the 1 to 5 stars rating of Bridge 1.0, makes it easy to note that a file has been reviewed but without having to move files to the trash. The display of rejected files can be toggled using the View > Show Reject Files command. The Metadata panel includes a convenient metadata placard that resembles the display at the back of a camera. The metadata placard displays at a glance in a compact format all the essential information about an image. The Keywords property in the Metadata Panel can now be edited directly. To create a metadata template, select the Tools > Create Metadata Template. Select which properties should be modified by selecting the appropriate checkbox. Properties that are selected but left blank will be cleared when the template is applied. After saving the template, use the Tools > Append Metadata or Tools > Replace Metadata to apply the template. This template can also be applied from the File Info dialog.
  • Organizing Files
    Several operations such as move, copy, duplicates can be undone. To undo, select Edit > Undo. To quickly move some items to a new folder, select File > Copy to or File > Move to. These commands are also available in the contextual menu. Moving and copying items is faster. A progress dialog, with a Stop option, is also available. Also, sidecar files are automatically copied with their master file. To rename a set of files, select Tools > Batch Rename. This command will rename the files in the current folder according to a pattern you specify. Note that RAW+JPG files are renamed correctly, that is, they are kept together.
  • Improved Searching
    Search performance has been improved. When a search is in progress it can be canceled by clicking the Cancel button at the top of the Content panel. By default, only items that have been previously indexed are searched. If you do not see the items you expect, select the Include Non-Indexed Files checkbox in the Find dialog. More properties can be searched on, including Document Type. To save a search query as a collection (live search), use the Save As Collection in the Find dialog. Note that in this build relative collections are not supported yet. Note that collections files saved with Bridge 1.0 are not supported by Bridge CS3.
  • Faster Cache
    The cache used by Bridge CS3 has been significantly improved for better performance. The cache takes advantage of multi-code and multi-processor hardware when available. As a result, the Bridge CPU usage may sometimes be displayed as being over 100%: this is a not a bug and simply indicates that Bridge is using more than 1 CPU. To purge the central cache, go to Preferences > Advanced and press the Purge Cache button. Note that exported caches are not affected by this operation. To create the cache for a set of folders without navigating to them, select Tools > Build Cache for Subfolders. A dialog is displayed providing the option to also export the cache for those folders. This option is useful before burning a set of folders to a read-only media (the exported caches enable faster browsing when reading the read-only media later on). The caches exported by Bridge CS3 used a new, more efficient, format. Those new caches are saved as invisible files. Note that Bridge CS3 will read Bridge 1.0 cache files if present. To automatically export caches when visiting directory, select the Preferences > Advanced > Automatically Export Caches to Folders When Possible option. This replaces the Distributed Caches option from Bridge 1.0.
  • Adobe Photo Downloader (APD)
    Adobe Photo Downloader is a component of Bridge CS3 to copy files from a camera or a card reader. To use APD, simply connect a camera to your computer or insert a card in a connected card reader, then select File > Get Photos from Camera...
  • Customizing Bridge
    You can match the visual appearance of Bridge to your own environment by customizing the background of the preview and control panel, as well as the overall brightness of the UI in the Preferences > General dialog. For greater flexibility, Bridge CS3 includes three columns of panels. Bridge 1.0 had a single column on the left hand side. You can drag and drop panels to the column of your choice. A blue insertion bar is displayed to indicate where the panel will be inserted when you drop it. To quickly toggle the left and right panels, press the Tab key. The icons at the bottom right of the window provides quick access to predefined Workspaces. Click on those buttons to switch to the panel indicated by the tooltip. Press and hold those buttons to change the Workspace they are associated to. You can create your own workspace and associate it with those buttons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back