Adobe Photoshop

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by jeffashman, Apr 5, 2021.

1. jeffashman

jeffashman TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, there is definitely more than 3GB worth of photos to be imported. :D

2. jeffashman

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went ahead and subscribed. Now to learn the tools and see what I can do with them. Thanks everyone for the helpful comments, greatly appreciated!

3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The nice thing about Lr and Ps, is there are thousands of videos on the internet that address about anything you want to know. Lr by and large is pretty straight forward, and if you're unsure of what to do with an image there's a little magic button at the top of the Basic panel, click it and it uses AI to adjust the image for you, or there's a virtually unlimited supply of presets or profiles that you can use. Ps can be more difficult to learn. The greatest strength of Ps is there are many, many ways to do the same thing. The biggest downside of Ps is there are so many ways to do the same thing, but picking the right way for the current image can be confusing.

If you get stuck or have questions, post them or you're welcome to PM me also, be happy to help.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeffashman

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. FBPB

FBPB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally, I have abandoned Adobe in favour of Affinity Photo / Designer / Publisher.

Granted, it does not have all of the bells and whistles of Adobe CS, and there is a slight learning curve if you are coming from Adobe. However, it is an outright licence (not a subscription) so you pay €50 for each licence only once (€150 for the suite). And currently they have a 50% off sale, which makes it a very good investment, if only to learn an alternative to Adobe.

And no, I have no affiliation with them, I just love their software!

6. AQS

AQS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another fan of Affinity here. For the price, it cannot be beaten! Plus, there are tons of tutorials on Youtube etc. I can highly recommend it.

7. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    OK -- two mentions of AP deserve one more mention. Affinity Photo is an excellent raster editor and a terrific deal $$$. However it is a raster editor. If your goal is to process raw files Affinity isn't such a great idea.

If you can you're better off processing raw files with a parametric editor. In a raw workflow Affinity forces you to edit destructively (not in the sense of damaging your original but in the sense of losing re-edit access to your work).

Affinity supplies a very simple raw converter (Develop module) for people who need to process raw files and don't have something better (nearly anything else is better). That simple raw converter in AP has problems.

If you do adopt Affinity for post processing at least learn to use some other raw converter to get your raw files into an RGB format Affinity can work with.

8. smoke665

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well since the cheap options have been covered, how about some more expensive options that might actually compare to Adobe for the more demanding user. There's Capture One for the low price of $449 you can buy the license ( oops there's some add ons extras) or you can subscribe monthly for $19/mo. Then there's file management, you'll have to supply that as well as online storage.

Hmmmm think I'll continue paying $9.99/mo where less is actually more.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I switched to Capture One back in 2012. Not because of the impending subscription cost of Adobe. I have full access to the entire Adobe Creative suite right now.

I switched to Capture One and gladly pay more for it because nothing does a better job of keeping me away from Photoshop. We all have different priorities and appropriately so. Really high on my priority list is a raw workflow that is 100% non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable -- that means hands off a raster editor. With C1 I can edit hundreds of photos for weeks on end without having to take a single photo into a raster editor. Would I pay $100.00 more a year for that? In the blink of an eye. LR is good as a parametric editor and would be my 2nd choice, but C1 is the most capable parametric editor.

10. smoke665

Photos NOT OK to edit
    @Ysarex if memory serves me right CS6 back in 2012 was right at $700 for the single user license. Adjusting for inflation that would put it over $800 today. People like to ***** and moan at the subscription model but how many people, other than professionals or businesses could afford it. Sure you could buy it and use it for maybe 4-5 years if you were lucky before it was obsolete and needed an upgrade but the subscription model for 5 years is only $600, still cheaper than the 2012 price, and you get LR & Bridge.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  11. jeffashman

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just shelled out a lot of dosh for a Sigma 50-500mm lens, so no more big purchases for a while. My next big purchase will be a pre-owned EOS 5D, so no budget for high dollar software. I like the subscription model, because it brings the software into reach for me, and so far I like what I’ve seen with PS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit

Right, as I said the Adobe cost didn't influence my decision to switch to something more expensive. But that's really not fair to say because I get Adobe for free if I want it. I think the point is we're both left somewhat dumbfounded at people who will spend hundreds and then thousands of dollars on cameras and lenses but don't want to pay very low and reasonable costs for essential software. Adobe is $120.00 a year. C1 costs me $150.00 a year. For Pete's sake I just bought a new used lens for $500.00 but I don't want to spend a fraction of that to be able to use it to full advantage? Good software isn't optional.

• Agree Agree x 2