Advantages of a Polarizer?

I really want one of these filters now... Can the same be acheieved without a filter in GIMP fairly easy?

Not at all.

You can perhaps simulate some of the effects (blue up a sky) but there is no way to reproduce the effect of a polarizer in PP and have it be anywhere near what you would get by putting one on your lens.

I like the difference that the polar filter makes. I was thinking about a UV filter mainly for lens protection. Does the UV filters make any difference at all when compared to no filter? and you could use them indoors? I know they make clear filters as well. My head is starting to hurt :banghead:

Speaking of, is it better to get a linear or circular? I know one you have to auto adjust and one you dont, but is there a quality difference otherwise?

Speaking of, is it better to get a linear or circular? I know one you have to auto adjust and one you dont, but is there a quality difference otherwise?

I was told by someone (don't remember who) that linear won't work with auto focus. Dunno if it's true.. but I bought a circular anyway.

The price of filters will vary, depending on size, brand, quality etc. The top end ones might have some fancy coatings to help reduce lens flare and such.

If price is an indicator...you either got a great deal or a low end filter. Check out B&W filters...a good size cir. pol. will be rather expensive....maybe 10x what you paid.

$200 polarizing filter? :confused:

bhop,

Definintely get the Circular Polarizer. Linear ones will not work with Autofocus systems.

Thanks MAV for that pictures. I love that little creeks shot, as well the other one with the hanging bridge. With cp or without does not really matter, the framed sceneries are already good in the first place. More please.

I would go with a circular polarizer over linear. If you have a local camera shop, check them out!!! I found a used one for dirt cheap and it works fine. I wouldn't bother with the UV filter, I think its main use is to protect the lens, but if you're clumsy enough to smack the lens that good, it's gonna break the damn UV filter too!!! Also, as you can see the polarizer does make a huge difference in the shots!! The best way to understand this is to go to a sunglass shop, try out a nonpolarized pair of sunglasses and then put on a polarized pair...I have a polarized pair of Oakleys and I'll never wear nonpolarized again!!! CHRiS

i would have to say pick up a UV filter too if you plan on taking long light shots, and you like protection on the front of your lense. I might just be crazy but the polarizing lenses really darken it up when it is kind of dark out, or maybe thats just looking through the viewfinder. either way its no good if you can't see what your shooting

Most reactions

New Topics

Back