Advice: durable 35mm; 50mm prime

You're activity cries for a Nikonos. Why not? I used mine not only for scuba diving but for whitewater rafting, hang gliding, rain and sand and surf. The lens is a 35mm not 50mm. But it's one of the sharpest lenses around. Load it up with Kodak Gold 200 and your set. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Nikonos IVa with 35mm lens samples
Alan, those photos are great. If I could afford it, I'd definitely buy a Nikonos and buy something to replace my main SLR. If in the end, I decide to keep using my Spotmatic as my main SLR, maybe I could pick up a Nikonos to pair with it. I recently looked at paddling photos from someone's instagram who shoots with a Nikonos and they were fantastic. If I left my film point and shoot at home, I would want a 28 or 35mm lens for my second camera. The Nikonos would fit the bill. I just didn't think of it as a priority now because I don't plan to get my film cameras wet.

It really would be great for park and play whitewater or day trips because I usually just take a small barely waterproof day pack in my play boat.

You're eight posts in at TPF and kvetching about the advice you asked for. Nice. Entitlement issues, maybe? Research? Perhaps time to do some rather than tantrum and disparage the answers you've received. Weird.

Looking for advice on a 35mm camera.

Priority is durability and weather "proofness". Budget is around $500 CAD ($350 USD).

I like to shoot with a 50mm (or similar) prime lens and would like something wide like a 1.4 if possible. My goal is to carry a reliable camera with good optics and a point n shoot on canoe trips.

I've been down the rabbit hole from various mechanical SLRs -> rangefinders -> Nikon N80 -> F100 -> F5 -> F4 -> F3 -> Pentax LX.

Currently, I have a Canon AE-1, Pentax Spotmatic, a Pentax Espio point n shoot and a few less functional cameras. My primary camera has been the Spotmatic. I'm a paddler and I do a lot of whitewater canoe trips and whitewater canoe park and play. This is where I shoot 95% of my film. The Spotmatic is nice enough but it is not very robust. I have recently switched from a small Pelican case to a Watershed duffel with my camera wrapped in a sweater in the duffel. I worry about it taking a bump and dying mid trip. Returning from a fly-in mountain river trip this year, I realised it's hard to accept the thought of damaging a camera and returning with only cell phone photos. I would like the ability to shoot in a light rain, though I'm not a professional photographer so shooting in a light rain means taking it out of the waterproof duffel, or from under a rain coat, setting up a shot, then returning it to protection.

The idea of using some Nikon lenses I already have for my old D300 is a little appealing. A good autofocus is appealing. I'm also okay with a good focus screen and a manual camera, as something compact and simple is also appealing. This ambivalence and the cost of some mid-range film cameras rising to the cost of some old pro cameras, you can see how I got lost in the rabbit hole.
What issues did you experience with the Nikon F3, F4, F5 and F100?

I recently bought 2 sets of new rings including the main rectangular one for my IVa in case I decide to sell it or start scuba diving again. I still haven't replaced the old set still in the camera which actually looks pretty good to my eyes.

What issues did you experience with the Nikon F3, F4, F5 and F100?
Oops. My first post is misleading. I meant only that I went through those cameras in reading reviews; I have not owned any.

When I made the original post, I was leaning toward F3, F4 or Pentax LX. The F5 seems perfect but its size isn't practical for my use (I shoot roughly 1-5 film photos per camera - two - per day). For the F100, I was hung up on the Ken Rockwell review mentioning dust getting in the rear cover. webestang64 commented that dust has not been an issue for them. This is making me consider the F100. It's very reasonably priced.

I was very seriously considering the Pentax LX until I found a review about difficulty getting parts. And high cost of repair.

I left my Canon New F-1 overnight on a tripod in a light rain (I had a bit too much to drink), and also lightly pounded a nail with it (don't ever do that ... and not sure if alcohol was also involved).
I haven't done this with a camera (yet) but I've certainly done it with guitars. Alcohol was definitely involved.

Looking for advice on a 35mm camera.

Priority is durability and weather "proofness". Budget is around $500 CAD ($350 USD).

I like to shoot with a 50mm (or similar) prime lens and would like something wide like a 1.4 if possible. My goal is to carry a reliable camera with good optics and a point n shoot on canoe trips.

I've been down the rabbit hole from various mechanical SLRs -> rangefinders -> Nikon N80 -> F100 -> F5 -> F4 -> F3 -> Pentax LX.

Currently, I have a Canon AE-1, Pentax Spotmatic, a Pentax Espio point n shoot and a few less functional cameras. My primary camera has been the Spotmatic. I'm a paddler and I do a lot of whitewater canoe trips and whitewater canoe park and play. This is where I shoot 95% of my film. The Spotmatic is nice enough but it is not very robust. I have recently switched from a small Pelican case to a Watershed duffel with my camera wrapped in a sweater in the duffel. I worry about it taking a bump and dying mid trip. Returning from a fly-in mountain river trip this year, I realised it's hard to accept the thought of damaging a camera and returning with only cell phone photos. I would like the ability to shoot in a light rain, though I'm not a professional photographer so shooting in a light rain means taking it out of the waterproof duffel, or from under a rain coat, setting up a shot, then returning it to protection.

The idea of using some Nikon lenses I already have for my old D300 is a little appealing. A good autofocus is appealing. I'm also okay with a good focus screen and a manual camera, as something compact and simple is also appealing. This ambivalence and the cost of some mid-range film cameras rising to the cost of some old pro cameras, you can see how I got lost in the rabbit hole.
In 1986 4 of us went on a 10 day canoe trip in Quetico, ON. I brought a Nikon F3, 20mm.2.8, 25mm/1.4, and 180/2.8 with a compact tripod using Kodachrome slide film. I kept them in a small yellow waterproof, floating, dry canoe bag tied to the canoe. I could pull the camera out and take photos from the canoe. I'd take the bag to our campsite each night. I had no incidents and got memorable photos.

If I did it again w/ film I'd use a Nikon FM2n (full manual) camera, w/ a 24mm/2.8 (good for landscape and people) and a 105mm/2.5 w/ a really small short light tripod. Portaging can be a problem.

If I did digital I use a Ricoh GRIII or Nikon Z50 or Zfc w/ kit zoom and a dry bag. In your budget the waterproof/shockproof Olympus TG-6 is hard to beat.

Here are some poor scans of a small mix of photos of our Quetica trip in '86:

img073.JPG
img076.JPG
img079.JPG
img080.JPG
img081.JPG
img084.JPG
img087.JPG
img096.JPG
img103.JPG
img106.JPG

Last edited:
In 1986 4 of us went on a 10 day canoe trip in Quetico, ON. I brought a Nikon F3, 20mm.2.8, 25mm/1.4, and 180/2.8 with a compact tripod using Kodachrome slide film. I kept them in a small yellow waterproof, floating, dry canoe bag tied to the canoe. I could pull the camera out and take photos from the canoe. I'd take the bag to our campsite each night. I had no incidents and got memorable photos.

If I did it again w/ film I'd use a Nikon FM2n (full manual) camera, w/ a 24mm/2.8 (good for landscape and people) and a 105mm/2.5 w/ a really small short light tripod. Portaging can be a problem.

If I did digital I use a Ricoh GRIII or Nikon Z50 or Zfc w/ kit zoom and a dry bag. In your budget the waterproof/shockproof Olympus TG-6 is hard to beat.

Here are some poor scans of a small mix of photos of our Quetica trip in '86:

View attachment 260710View attachment 260711View attachment 260712View attachment 260713View attachment 260714View attachment 260715View attachment 260716View attachment 260717View attachment 260718View attachment 260719
These photos are fantastic! Especially the first one. I have a bit of an obsession with maps.

My TG-6 is mostly used for geotagging rapids on whitewater trips. Stays in my PFD and gets wet when I wipe out. Its lens is really bad for condensation staying on it vs my old Nikon AW-110 that died. The AW-110 also had a way more reliable GPS lock. Kinda disappointed with my TG-6 for what I use it for.

What makes you prefer the full manual FM2n over the F3? The practical/logical side of me is leaning toward something like an F100 but the nostalgic/creative side loves full manual.

I don't have any plans to carry a tripod as I have two professional photographer friends that I often trip with. If there's a tripod shot to be made, I just give them my camera to do it!

Slide film has a magic to its colour and I've been happy with my results with E100 even though I'm not a photographer. These are E100. First two in my AE-1 in Manitoba, second two in my Spotmatic in Yukon.

<photo removed>
This photo was snapped while it was raining (misting). Camera out of the raincoat just for the shot.

<photo removed>
Might not look dramatic, but we're heading for that tiny shack across tidal flats with polar bears around us.

<photo removed>
Silt from a creek flowing into a clear river.

<photo removed>
Hike above the silty creek.

Last edited:
What makes you prefer the full manual FM2n over the F3? The practical/logical side of me is leaning toward something like an F100 but the nostalgic/creative side loves full manual.
I like the FM2n because the battery only operates the meter and will last for a long time. If the battery dies you can use the 'sunny 16' rule to set exposure. If the battery dies in the F3 it will default to 1/80 sec only from my recollection. I keep an FM2n to have around as it will last a very long time and not dependent on batteries if need be. It's built like a tank to and was the camera that National Geographic gave to its photographers in the film days because they shot in every kind of unforgiving situation.

I like the FM2n because the battery only operates the meter and will last for a long time. If the battery dies you can use the 'sunny 16' rule to set exposure. If the battery dies in the F3 it will default to 1/80 sec only from my recollection. I keep an FM2n to have around as it will last a very long time and not dependent on batteries if need be. It's built like a tank to and was the camera that National Geographic gave to its photographers in the film days because they shot in every kind of unforgiving situation.
Awesome! I've also looked into a hot shoe meter so I don't have to fuss with old internal meters and their modern replacement batteries. The less batteries I have to charge before a trip, the better.

It might be a good time for some to use the “Ignore” feature or walk away.

I've used 35mm film and dSLR cameras in the rain.
But with a plastic bag or camera raincoat over the camera, to keep the rain out. Once the water gets into the camera, it isn't coming out easily.
The camera raincoat while it works, is a hassle to use, so only gets used when I shoot soccer in the rain.

If it is anything more than a few drops of rain on the camera, the camera gets put away, or into a bag/raincoat.
I don't shoot in ANY rain without protection for the camera. And that includes the weather sealed cameras like the Olympus OM1.
Personally, if I am going someplace where I could get the camera wet, I would take my TG5. And that is why I bought the TG5.
In my early film days, I was considering getting a Nikonos, to take camping, and not have to worry about the rain. Today, I would still take a Nikonos over a standard SLR, or take my TG5.

Wind is the other problem. While I will shoot soccer in the rain, if the wind is blowing, I pack it up.
The plastic bag or camera raincoat will keep the vertical rain off the camera, but the wind will blow the rain onto the filter, and looking through a filter with rain drops on it makes for difficult or impossible picture taking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back