advice for making an interesting slide show for county fair display

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Once again I decided to get a booth at the local county fair. I want to make it a bit more interesting this year, so I plan to bring my 23" widescreen monitor and my laptop and do a slide show for the hours im present. I dont want to leave the computer and monitor when im not around. Im not a huge fan of bringing my monitor since I cant lock it to the table like I can with my laptop, especially since someone could bump the table and make it fall. But anyways.

I want to make an interesting slide show. I plan to have a few segments put together, a few senior portrait sets, and then a few other topics like children, family, etc.

So I have two questions:

Ive noticed things in the past that try to get your attention, usually a question that is answered after you watch their commercial, so I was thinking of doing something like that.

Question 1 -

Does anyone have any suggestions for questions that is related to photography and/or seniors that is actually interesting?

I also want to use popular music, but I dont know how to get the licensing for that, nor really have a budget for it after getting the booth ready. 15 11x14 prints and frames gets quite expensive. :)

I use animoto and they dont really have anything that is popular or current. How legal would it be to put in music from a cd that I own, just for this, not to sell to a customer or give to anyone, just for them to hear it as they see the pictures. An easy way around this would be to simply have a stereo pumping music next to the computer, as far as I know thats perfectly legal. Its illegal to include that music with a slide show to a customer.

Question 2 -

At what point does it become illegal? :) Is it legal for me to use copyrighted music in the display if its part of the slide show, or does it have to be on a stereo for people to hear at the same time? :)

On a side note im going to have a raffle for two free portraits, one for families/pets, and the other for seniors. I figure this will be an easy way to get names and contact information.

The family one will be an hour on location and they will get 3 prints of 3 poses.

The senior one will be a BFF session for them and their friend. They will get an hour total, each will get two prints of 2 poses.

A model release will be required by all that win so I can show the pictures, so the time wont be a waste, and hopefully they will love more than the 2/3 poses and want to buy more. :)

Is it legal for me to use copyrighted music in the display if its part of the slide show.
Yes - As long as you have a valid use license from the copyright owner.

Copyrighted music is no different than copyrighted photographs, particularly when used to promote your business.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use
The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission......
....The safest course is always to get permission from the copyright owner before using copyrighted material.....

I doubt the black eye pea's would respond to my email. :D

Where does one go to get licensed music then?

What if the music is playing on a cd that I bought, on a separate stereo than the computer, for my personal enjoyment that happens to be loud enough for people to hear that pass within 3 feet of my booth? :D

Are you trying to promote photography or music? All the fairs that I've been to have been relatively noisy events. Why add to the general din by playing music that really serves no purpose and will only make it harder to talk to potential clients? On the copyright aspect, how would you feel if the Black-eyed Peas downloaded one of your images off of the 'net and used it for an album cover without talking to you?

As for your question about "interesting" questions, the ones that people generally want answers to are: How much does it cost, what will I get, and how long will it take. You can have suggestions (eg: appropriate clothing & colours, ideas on poses and locations) as well.

I doubt the black eye pea's would respond to my email. :D

Where does one go to get licensed music then?

What if the music is playing on a cd that I bought, on a separate stereo than the computer, for my personal enjoyment that happens to be loud enough for people to hear that pass within 3 feet of my booth? :D
Do you know what professional ethics are?

There are many web sites that license copyrighted music. Try a Google search.

Are you trying to promote photography or music? All the fairs that I've been to have been relatively noisy events. Why add to the general din by playing music that really serves no purpose and will only make it harder to talk to potential clients? On the copyright aspect, how would you feel if the Black-eyed Peas downloaded one of your images off of the 'net and used it for an album cover without talking to you?

As for your question about "interesting" questions, the ones that people generally want answers to are: How much does it cost, what will I get, and how long will it take. You can have suggestions (eg: appropriate clothing & colours, ideas on poses and locations) as well.

Enjoying music that I have purchased and using unpaid photography for a physical product that is being sold are two different things. :)

Good point about how loud it will be in there, I forgot about that.

And by interesting questions, im talking trivia. :) The starting price and monthly special will be on my 4x6 advertisements. :)

Enjoying music that I have purchased and using unpaid photography for a physical product that is being sold are two different things. :)
That's your opionion; that of the music owner's lawyer might differ... Regardless however, as Keith said, there's the whole question of ethics.

And by interesting questions, im talking trivia. :) The starting price and monthly special will be on my 4x6 advertisements. :)
Ahhh, gotcha. Research the lives of famous photographers; "Did you know Ansel Adams used...." "Did you know O. Winston Link used 500 flash-bulbs in his famous..."

Im not sure if the average person knows or cares who adams is. :)

ive decided not to use music, knowing how noisy the hall is. :)

Interesting trivia could be the comparison how long an average professional photo lasts compared to one printed off at any old photo lab.. the type of trivia that would sway business in your direction while still being fun.

I like that one shadow. :) Got any other good ones like that? :D

I wonder how I should out how long WHCC prints last, I guess Ill send them an email. :)

You don't already know what kind of paper WHCC uses, and it's longevity? You should already be using that info in your marketing.

WHCC uses Kodak Endura Professional paper.

From the WHCC web site: Questions About Our Digital Photo Products | WHCC prints

Q. What kind of paper do you use?
A. Kodak Professional Supra Endura VC Digital Paper is used for Lustre, Glossy and Metallic paper. Supra Endura VC paper had an increased color gamut, excellent flesh reproduction, sharpness, and brilliant image quality.

Q. What is the archival life of a photo print?
A. Over 100 years in typical home display. Over 200 years in dark storage. 1-5 years for commercial display

Most reactions

New Topics

Back