advice for my 1st cam

Ashlee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi to all,

I am a newbie without a DSLR, intending to get one soon to start but am gathering info and seek advice before i throw my cash in to this hobby! Which cam would you guys recommend?:meh:

T2i :)

Well, if budget is not a concern, i would like a 5Dmk2 :) If it was, a D5000 would be nice! I liked the T2i though!

The Nikon D5000, I think, is a great beginner camera, because of it's very user friendly interface.

I think the question should be a bit more than "whats your budget."

How serious are you to get into photography? Just like to take cool pix? Or Can't live without it?
Are you sure you even need a DSLR? What for?
What will you be shooting, main focus of your work?
Will you be traveling a lot by foot so size of the camera and lens is an issue?

etc...

It would still be the Nikon D40 for me,... Great camera, brilliant quality, and they're available at a good price these days that make an introduction to DSLR all the more affordable. Value for money is through the roof on the D40 in my opinion.

I just started, did about 12 hours of research before I settled on the nikon d5000, I'm very happy with my decision. Best buy offers 36 months interest free financing on dslr and lense kits over $799.

I think the question should be a bit more than "whats your budget."

How serious are you to get into photography? Just like to take cool pix? Or Can't live without it?
Are you sure you even need a DSLR? What for?
What will you be shooting, main focus of your work?
Will you be traveling a lot by foot so size of the camera and lens is an issue?

etc...

Take this advice. :thumbup:

Include
- do you know anyone who already has a specific make of DSLR?
- Will you want to use the camera in harsh environments, such as at the beach, out in the rain, underwater?
- What have you used up until now, and what do you like / dislike about it?

I really think you should start out small. Basically a dSLR under 800 with lens partly because you're not investing a whole lot into it so if you decide that you don't like it you haven't committed 2500 bucks for a 5DMK2. Plus, with cheaper equipment you'll learn how to cope in each situation and really learn as a photographer. Remember the equipment is only a tool in taking a picture so you may think that a better (more expensive) camera the better the photo and that is most certainly not the case. The camera is only able to produce pictures if the photographer knows how.

I know this doesn't give you a definitive answer but it'll help you decide (i hope)

If I did have to recommend a camera I'd probably do a Canon Rebel series as I started out with an XTi and its still what I use and it is a fully capable camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back