Advice for White Backgrounds

margosoriginals

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to photograph silver jewelry on a white background. I've learned that this is very hard to achieve :)
I have a cheap version of an EZcube, a canon speedligt, 2 flashpoint lights, and a contraption I built to suspend the jewelry and hold it in place with mono filament string. I'm sitting by a window with the light coming in from the right side.
I'm having a really hard time getting the background white, without overexposing the silver which is so reflective. Does anyone have any tips?
I am opening a retail website for my jewelry, and I would like to be able to achieve white backgrounds so I can do a white website (I just think it would look better). I gave up yesterday, and just started photographing them on black, but before I scrap the whole white theme, I wanted to ask for some advice to see if there is something I am missing.
The biggest problem is the chain. I use dainty silver chain, and the detail gets lost. I was wondering if anyone has experience photographing silver jewelry against a white background, and if you have any tips for me? Any equipment I might need? This is so frustrating, It's becoming an obsession at this point- I just want to prove to myself that I can do it! I've tried it with flash, without flash, tripod with slow shutter and small aperture, moving lights around, etc.

There's several threads with links to Zack Arias's seamless tutorial that will help with what you're asking in the Lighting forum.

Most reactions

Back