Advice needed - C&C please

blueofspirit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Some photos from a recent hike - any advice really appreciated!

#1 - would this have been better with more DOF and all the chewed up leaves in focus?

IMG_4756.jpg

#2 - the background is distracting I feel. Would desaturating the background somewhat (not completely to grey) help?

IMG_4763.jpg

#3 - waterfall no. 1. Not sure what I could have done to prevent the spray on the lens. Also - is there a way to get more sense of height into the photo without standing RIGHT under it and shooting up? (which the landscape did not allow)

IMG_4742.jpg

#4 - waterfall no. 2. This is probably my favorite of the bunch...is the top overexposed?

IMG_4771.jpg

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the top part of that last photo is really blown out. This might be a good candidate for exposure blending (shooting several exposures for each part of the image and then combining them in photoshop).

This might sound dumb... But those falls look very familiar. Where are they?

BTW, I took the liberty of editing the last one a bit.... Mind you I am no expert... But I just adjusted the color balance a bit and it doesn't look as washed out near the top. IMO anyway....

IMG_4771BuS-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Btw, just saw your edit. I like it - the colours look a little artificial I think... it might just be me though.

I shot that in RAW+JPG. Do you think if I learnt how to process RAW images I could compress another one with a darker exposure and do an HDR off that?

Do you think if I learnt how to process RAW images I could compress another one with a darker exposure and do an HDR off that?

I admittedly know next to nothing about HDR... I am rather new to photo editing and know only the basics... But I am learning all the time. :)

I am a beginner so you can take this for what it's worth, but in number 2, I think you should have made your subject fill more of the frame and eliminated most of the background. I like the composition in number 1 and in number 4, but they all seem a little flat as far as colors and contrast.

on #1 I would have opened up the DOF. Get it all in focus or maybe localize your focus to with a small DOF and get in a little closer if possable. I find myself looking around for the focal point. A little distracting but a cool shot.

BuS, that edit looks nice!

on #1 I would have opened up the DOF. Get it all in focus or maybe localize your focus to with a small DOF and get in a little closer if possable. I find myself looking around for the focal point. A little distracting but a cool shot.

BuS, that edit looks nice!

Thanks! Yea I agree with more DOF on #1. Didn't have a macro lens with me so this was about as close as I could get while getting everything in the shot..

With the waterfall shots, I put it on Av mode with 0.5 sec exposure and -2/3, but it still comes out washed out at the top for both waterfall shots. Why is that?? Any advice on what setting? Or is HDR a must in this case?

Most reactions

Back