Advice needed concerning a lens

mofotodojo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5 lens. It did alright for my first wedding shoot last weekend... but I immediately saw I needed a better aperture.

Now, i've done some reading, and read that a 17-55/2.8 is THE lens, and a 17-50/2.8 tameron is a cheaper alternative. But they are both still expensive to me.... $1200+ and $500+....

what I want to know is can I get a way with getting the nikkor 50/1.2 or 1.4? It sounds like such a fantastic lens for the price, $300... and I've been wanting a prime lens anyway.

This church I'm to do weddings for is small, small town,and often they just don't have anyone taking pictures for them. So these are going to be low-end weddings... nothing grand or expensive. I know this will be a good opportunity for me to practice.

Any advice wil be grealt appreciated.

Thanks

MOfotodojo

I've never shot a wedding, but I would think that being stuck at 50mm may be somewhat limiting. I don't see you getting that many great closeups as you will have to be physically in close and personal to get the shots. Neither will you be able to get wide shots.

For the low light option, its a great idea. I just think you might be hampered by the lack of focal lenght. But again, I never shot a wedding so what do I know :)

I think a 50mm could come in handy for some portraits and detail shots but it's not going to be much good for ceremony and reception shots. In combonation with your 18-200 and an off camera flash I think a 50mm would be enough for the moment until you can afford some better glass. I actually have the 18-200 and 50 1.8 myself and for the wedding I'm shooting next weekend I will be renting the 70-200 2.8.

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure so far that I will go with the 50/1.8.

MelodySoul, do you use a mounted flash, bounce, or any such thing for your weddings?

Most reactions

Back