Advice Needed ~ In This Situation, Flash or No Flash?

tomazws

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'm new to photography. I have a questions for y'all professionals!

I was at a low light restaurant, and I took some pics with flash (which made my life easier with shorter shutter), and took some pics without flash.

I'm a noob, so I'm still using the stock built-in flash. If you were me, how would you adjust the lighting?

With Flash:
web.jpg

Without Flash:
web.jpg

Whole album if you're interested:
MobileMe Gallery

Thank you for your help!

Depends on the scenario. Me, if the ceiling were white and normal height or I had the room to use off camera flash, yes, I would have used it.

If not, I would have adjusted composure compensation +1/3 EV, increased ISO and shot in RAW (your pics have the white balance off from the yellow lighting), used spot focus and fixed point metering and shot without flash.

Depends on the use of the photos-- if I were just taking pictures of my friends I would just open my aperture up and shoot ambient, but if it were something where I needed to get everyone in sharp focus, etc then I would use a bounce flash or off camera flash like Jerry suggested.

Awesome! Thank you for your help! I will keep trying keep practicing according to what you suggested!

If not, I would have adjusted composure compensation +1/3 EV....
Well, you have to be a bit more specific. Shot #1 is centered and facing the camera, so you could do either or, + or - 1/3 composure compensation. Shot #2 though is definitely facing to the left in the image, thus you would need a -1/3 composure compensation to get him into the right side of the image (move the framing to the left) giving him space on the left to be looking towards....:lmao:

Most reactions

Back