Advice needed on first zoom zens.

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening everyone, I'm back at it again seeking your wise advice. My university is having it's annual sports meet some time in March and being apart of the Photoclub, I would be one of few taking photos. What lens would you recommend on a budget of $300-$400 for Nikon D3200? Would vibration reduction make a big difference? Why would I choose a Telephoto zoom (e.g Tamron SP 70mm-300mm) over an all-in-one zoom (e.g Tamron 16mm-300mm) lens?

Thanks much xx

My suggestion is to RENT a really good one, Nikon makes a very good 80(?)-200mm 2,8 lens. you will be rewarded for doing this with excellent quality pictures. Ones far superior to any you would get with a $400 lens.

Yes, vr is a pretty big deal with a tele zoom. Are you wanting the lens just for this particular even or, are you wanting to buy something in the 300-400 range to keep and use for other events in the future?
Good evening everyone, I'm back at it again seeking your wise advice. My university is having it's annual sports meet some time in March and being apart of the Photoclub, I would be one of few taking photos. What lens would you recommend on a budget of $300-$400 for Nikon D3200? Would vibration reduction make a big difference? Why would I choose a Telephoto zoom (e.g Tamron SP 70mm-300mm) over an all-in-one zoom (e.g Tamron 16mm-300mm) lens?

Thanks much xx
Are you wanting this lens just for this particular event or are you wanting to buy a 300-400 lens for this event and perhaps future use?

The Tamron 70-300 VC, has been a pretty good lens. For sports, sheer high shutter SPEED is more important than stabilization, rendering VC or VR or OS less-critical than for say, landscape shooting or travel/vacation shooting, stiopped down for DOF, but without a tripod, using the stabilizer to compensate for lack of a tripod.

70-300 zooms are a dime a dozen, so buy one USED. From a dealer that offers a return privledge. Or from Craigslist, etc.. I've seen a number of people calim that the Tamron SP 70mm-300mm is a better lens than the 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR Nikkor.

16-300, 18-270, 28-200, 28-270....all those kinda' lenses are for weekends at the shore, etc..

The Tamron 70-300 VC, has been a pretty good lens. For sports, sheer high shutter SPEED is more important than stabilization, rendering VC or VR or OS less-critical than for say, landscape shooting or travel/vacation shooting, stiopped down for DOF, but without a tripod, using the stabilizer to compensate for lack of a tripod.

70-300 zooms are a dime a dozen, so buy one USED. From a dealer that offers a return privledge. Or from Craigslist, etc.. I've seen a number of people calim that the Tamron SP 70mm-300mm is a better lens than the 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR Nikkor.

16-300, 18-270, 28-200, 28-270....all those kinda' lenses are for weekends at the shore, etc..
What Derrel said, the Tamron 70-300mm VC is great and very affordable, the Nikon 70-300mm VR is good too but if you consider it get the VR version as the older non VR versions aint as sharp, if you will get either one of these 2 lenses used is a good idea.

Super zoom lenses like 18-200mm 28-300mm.......etc are all bringing a lot of focal flexibility but in return produces soft images, my advice is don't get them, they aint worth it.

Double post, disregard

If you plan to rent a lens for a D3200 you must be sure that it has AFS or HSM or other ultrasonic motor focusing. Nikon's 80 - 200 F 2.8 AF-S (old, uncommon, hard to find) is the only 80 to 200 Nikkor lens that will autofous on your D3200.

The 70-200 Nikkor VR models focus very fast. A good economy alternate might actually be the 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G-series prime lens, and judicious cropping as- needed.

My suggestion is to RENT a really good one, Nikon makes a very good 80(?)-200mm 2,8 lens. you will be rewarded for doing this with excellent quality pictures. Ones far superior to any you would get with a $400 lens.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm afraid my location limits the amount of photography equipment/shops/AND photographers overall. My next alternative would be to get a used lens as others have suggested.

Yes, vr is a pretty big deal with a tele zoom. Are you wanting the lens just for this particular even or, are you wanting to buy something in the 300-400 range to keep and use for other events in the future?

Thanks much xx
Are you wanting this lens just for this particular event or are you wanting to buy a 300-400 lens for this event and perhaps future use?

I'm looking to buy the lens so as to use in the future as well. I do think I need to experiment with other focal lengths and the different types of photography so I guess the sports event would be a start.

If you plan to rent a lens for a D3200 you must be sure that it has AFS or HSM or other ultrasonic motor focusing. Nikon's 80 - 200 F 2.8 AF-S (old, uncommon, hard to find) is the only 80 to 200 Nikkor lens that will autofous on your D3200.

The 70-200 Nikkor VR models focus very fast. A good economy alternate might actually be the 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G-series prime lens, and judicious cropping as- needed.

Thanks a lot for the information, by your post I'm now including the 85mm f/1.8 prime on my list as I do think the wider aperture would make a great difference in how the pictures turn out. Nonetheless, the Tamron SP 70mm-300mm was my first option and aside from shooting sports, I would like to shoot wildlife.

I personally don't think that VC would make a difference, as you mentioned, if I'm using a tripod and shutter release remote so I think my final decision would be whether I should get the Tamron SP 70-300 or just opt for the non-vc version and use a monopod for stabilization as sport events. What do you think?

What Derrel said, the Tamron 70-300mm VC is great and very affordable, the Nikon 70-300mm VR is good too but if you consider it get the VR version as the older non VR versions aint as sharp, if you will get either one of these 2 lenses used is a good idea.

Super zoom lenses like 18-200mm 28-300mm.......etc are all bringing a lot of focal flexibility but in return produces soft images, my advice is don't get them, they aint worth it.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :)!

If you are after a lens for shooting your "annual sports meet" then VC/IR etc won't do you any good. Sports requires a faster shutter speed to stop action. using a slower shutter speed will just induce subject motion blur. Thus you'll have your VC/IR turned off for sports. Unless it's really slow moving. Though most current lenses offer VC/IR etc as it's valuable for lower light and non-moving subjects.

Also, it was mentioned a Nikon 80-200/2.8. These lenses are an AF-D designation and require an "in-body" focus motor which the d3x00 and d5x00 series cameras lack. You'll have to use a AF-S lens for your camera, such as the 70-200/2.8s.

It is true that VR doesn't help with sports photography, where it does help is with anything hand held when using a slower shutter speed. I have the Nikon 70-300 VR and it is my GOTO tele zoom.

It is true that VR doesn't help with sports photography, where it does help is with anything hand held when using a slower shutter speed. I have the Nikon 70-300 VR and it is my GOTO tele zoom.
If you are after a lens for shooting your "annual sports meet" then VC/IR etc won't do you any good. Sports requires a faster shutter speed to stop action. using a slower shutter speed will just induce subject motion blur. Thus you'll have your VC/IR turned off for sports. Unless it's really slow moving. Though most current lenses offer VC/IR etc as it's valuable for lower light and non-moving subjects.

Also, it was mentioned a Nikon 80-200/2.8. These lenses are an AF-D designation and require an "in-body" focus motor which the d3x00 and d5x00 series cameras lack. You'll have to use a AF-S lens for your camera, such as the 70-200/2.8s.

Thanks a lot for the information, by your post I'm now including the 85mm f/1.8 prime on my list as I do think the wider aperture would make a great difference in how the pictures turn out. Nonetheless, the Tamron SP 70mm-300mm was my first option and aside from shooting sports, I would like to shoot wildlife.

I personally don't think that VC would make a difference, as you mentioned, if I'm using a tripod and shutter release remote so I think my final decision would be whether I should get the Tamron SP 70-300 or just opt for the non-vc version and use a monopod for stabilization as sport events. What do you think?

Now given you guys' input on the VC being irrelevant for Sports Photography, would the non-vc model, the Tamron 70mm-300mm Di LD macro, be a good contender for shooting action, paired with a stabilizer like, say, a monopod?

I really do not think a monopod is a net positive for action/sports work on a light camera/lens combo. On a big, heavy, 7 to 8 pound lens (200/2, 300/2.8) the momnopod is a net positive, but a 70-300 f/4~5.6 type lens is small, light, easy to handle, so no mneed for a monopod. Just keep the shutter speeds up, and fast, to stop most motion, or all of the motion.

Set a FAST shutter speed, like 1/700 or faster, like 1/800, or whatnot, maybe even 1/1000 second on close action that moves left to right, across the field. Make sure the ISO level can give the right exposure. Outdoors in bright winter-season daylight, f/5 or so, or f/5.6, will be about where you want to be.

I think the non-VC model would be fine. You're in a budget zone where you cannot quite reach the high-end, fast zoom lenses, so if the non-VC is affordable, why not go for it?

As Derrel says the monopod isn't a "stabilizer" but a "this thing weighs too heavy to use for a long time" support. When I use my 80-200/2.8 it's hand held. When I use my 150-600 its mostly on a monopod. I've handheld it before but it gets heavy quickly. And if you do use a monopod you'll want it connected to the lens through a lens collar, so that you can get vertical shots if you need them (otherwise you'll whack someone with the monopod as you turn the camera).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back