Advice needed please

I think you need a wider angle lens than 14mm ... and you need to physically relocate to a better view of the sky.
I am not familiar with MFT, but don't they use the same mount ... so you can use Olympus lenses on your Panasonic ??

Milky Way, GH4: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks for the link, I do believe that the Olympus lens is interchangeable with the Lumix. That picture was just a test shot from my garden but I figured that I should at least test what I have at home before planning and cold nights on a hill-side

There is a lens here which I guess is okay but it's a lot of my budget LUMIX G LEICA DG SUMMILUX Lens - 12mm - H-X012 - Panasonic US

Hmm, that appears to be a very good IQ lens and very fast aperture.

There are other options: Olympus is cheaper and if you can live with manual focus, Rokinon/Samyang.

Hmm, that appears to be a very good IQ lens and very fast aperture.

There are other options: Olympus is cheaper and if you can live with manual focus, Rokinon/Samyang.

Thank you, I'll check them out and certainly don't mind manual focus on night sky shots because the auto focus doesn't seem to work anyway.

The only other seemed to be the one below but once again very expensive Voigtlander Nokton 10.5mm f/0.95 Lens for Micro Four BA328A B&H

... and in case you needed to know about the aperture ... there is 1 f-stop difference between 2.8 - 2.0 -1.4 - 1.0

Gonzo, if you haven´t already, you might want to check apps like photopills (PhotoPills | Shoot legendary photos). They help finding the best part of the night sky, which is the milky way. Shooting that rather than a random part of the sky will help big time!
I´m not an astrophysicist, so forgive me if your image already shows the milky way ;).

What specifically are you doing with night photography? We probably have some advice on achieving the image you want.

Sorry it was a bit vague. I'd like to take pictures of the night sky preferably . . . . . . don't laugh but this was my first effort last night and it just looks poor. Any advice is very much appreciated.

View attachment 164158

Gonzo, if you haven´t already, you might want to check apps like photopills (PhotoPills | Shoot legendary photos). They help finding the best part of the night sky, which is the milky way. Shooting that rather than a random part of the sky will help big time!
I´m not an astrophysicist, so forgive me if your image already shows the milky way ;).

What specifically are you doing with night photography? We probably have some advice on achieving the image you want.

Sorry it was a bit vague. I'd like to take pictures of the night sky preferably . . . . . . don't laugh but this was my first effort last night and it just looks poor. Any advice is very much appreciated.

View attachment 164158

That's an excellent tip, thank you

Hahaha. This is how it all starts.

Most reactions

Back