Advice needed please

Gonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good afternoon everyone, newbie here looking to expand my limited knowledge and hoping for a bit of sage wisdom.

Allow me to give you a bit of background before detailing the advice if I may please?

I purchased a camera about a year ago for video purposes and found myself using it to take to take a few still photos in auto mode and since then have caught the bug. I'm a complete novice and starting to venture into the abyss of manual mode, shutter speeds and aperture without fully understanding any of it.

I've watched quite a few YouTube tutorials which have been very helpful and last night I took my GH4 into the garden to try and take some night shots. I followed some online advice regarding settings which I'm sure were fine but I wasn't particularly happy with the results.

I understand that Micro four thirds have a small sensor and that my lens' don't have a low aperture so I'm wondering . . . . .. .

I have £1000 which I was going to spend on a GH5 (again for video use mostly and I do love the ease of M43rds cameras) but am I better spending the money on a second hand full frame DSLR and start on that journey.

I've already started tailoring my journeys and breaks to accommodate photographing wildlife and landscapes so I feel at a bit of a crossroads.

I've looked at the DSLR's but it's daunting to say the least and have no idea where to start.

Thanks for your indulgence and here is a picture of the kit I currently have.

Camera gear.jpg

Hi Gonzo and welcome to the froum.
Without a doubt, the GH series big strength is video. And from what I heard the GH5 is going to be no exception for that. To be honest: if I were you, I´d ask myself what the pros of the new body would be for video and if it would be worth the upgrade.
If they are minimal, I´d consider a full frame, if not, and your primary use is video, I´d go with the GH5.
In regard to used DSLRs, I´m sure others have more input that I do - I too am in the mirrorless world for quite a while now and the only full frame mirrorless in your price range might be the Sony a7 - which I wouldn´t really recommend since a lot changed to its current version (III).

There is no right or wrong answer here. There is a lot to say about staying with the same system and sharing all the lenses equally between cameras. Conversely, there is also a lot to say about the IQ and low light capability of a FF. I've shot top of the line FF and Top of the line MFT ... full systems for both camera lines and I've shot them both at the same time.

As a novice I think much/most of your dissatisfaction is due to lack of experience. Photography is as much craft as it is science. In the short run I'd shoot, shoot some more and at the end of the day when you think you're done ... shoot again. So I suggest you stick with MFT until your skill level improves,

Last edited:
Hi Gonzo and welcome to the froum.
Without a doubt, the GH series big strength is video. And from what I heard the GH5 is going to be no exception for that. To be honest: if I were you, I´d ask myself what the pros of the new body would be for video and if it would be worth the upgrade.
If they are minimal, I´d consider a full frame, if not, and your primary use is video, I´d go with the GH5.
In regard to used DSLRs, I´m sure others have more input that I do - I too am in the mirrorless world for quite a while now and the only full frame mirrorless in your price range might be the Sony a7 - which I wouldn´t really recommend since a lot changed to its current version (III).

Thanks very much for the welcome.

The video is pretty much my part-time job but I'm not making artistic content. I plug the mic in and do quick sports reviews then upload them.

The GH5s apparently works better in low light but at 10mp will probably be a disappointment when I'm looking to take some pics on a day trip to the countryside or coast.

There is no right or wrong answer here. There is a lot to say about staying with the same system and sharing all the lenses equally between cameras. Conversely, there is also a lot to say about the IQ and low light capability of a FF. I've shot top of the line FF and Top of the line MFT ... full systems for both camera lines and I've shot them both at the same time.

As a novice I think much/most of your dissatisfaction is due to lack of experience. Photography is as much craft as it is science. In the short run I'd shoot, shoot again and at the end of the day when you think you're done ... shoot again. So I suggest you stick with MFT until your skill level improves,

Hey Gary, thanks very much for the advice. You're right that it is useful having the interchangeable lens' particularly with that compact Lumix GX800 accepting the same MFT. Maybe I should buy a lens that has an aperture better suited to night photography to compliment my current kit?

What specifically are you doing with night photography? We probably have some advice on achieving the image you want.

As a novice I think much/most of your dissatisfaction is due to lack of experience. Photography is as much craft as it is science. In the short run I'd shoot, shoot again and at the end of the day when you think you're done ... shoot again. So I suggest you stick with MFT until your skill level improves,

Hey Gary, thanks very much for the advice. You're right that it is useful having the interchangeable lens' particularly with that compact Lumix GX800 accepting the same MFT. Maybe I should buy a lens that has an aperture better suited to night photography to compliment my current kit?
Yes, every f/stop (aperture) either doubles or halves the amount of light hitting the sensor.

Last edited:
What specifically are you doing with night photography? We probably have some advice on achieving the image you want.

Sorry it was a bit vague. I'd like to take pictures of the night sky preferably . . . . . . don't laugh but this was my first effort last night and it just looks poor. Any advice is very much appreciated.

4th effort 7th oct t.jpg

Yes, every f/stop (aperture) either doubles or halves the amount of hitting the sensor.

That's interesting Gary, Thanks. The smallest I can see is a fixed focal lumix f1.2asph

.. am I better spending the money on a second hand full frame DSLR ..
"Full frame" is not always the answer. It would depend on your intended use. I think "full frame" might be ideal for certain types, such as; landscape or portraiture, but not necessarily for astro-photography. Match the sensor to the job, including how it renders the subject as well as other qualities. It is not for everyone, and not always the most ideal choice.

For night sky photography, have a look at the Nikon D500.

For night sky photography a tripod and a long exposure works out well.
Thanks Gary, I did both and have the remote to avoid shaking

For night sky photography, have a look at the Nikon D500.

Thanks very much, I had seen that on a list of cameras that performed well in low light

Most reactions

Back