Advice needed

JudNissani

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting photos of my kids at home in the evening. How can I obtained best focus photos without using flash?

LIttle tip: at least list the hemisphere you are in in your profile...how much light you have is kind of a big deal...

Find some decent light. If there is no light, elevate the ISO setting in use. Slow the shutter down a bit. Keep the camera steady.

If focus is the issue, most DSLRs have a focus-assist beam. If not try Turing on a lamp or overhead light. If your problem is actually exposure, then you can either raise the ISO or learn more about flash photography.

If you don't want to add more light by using flash, then you are left with balancing the three sides of the exposure triangle.

1) Widen the aperture. With a prime lens, you can usually open up to 1.8. This would let in plenty of light. However, this means the area that will be in focus is very, very thin. If your kids are sitting perfectly still, you can get their eyes in focus. But if they are moving, it will be almost impossible. You will probably need to stop down to at least 3.5 to get very many keepers, but that of course lets in less light, which means you'll have to compromise on something else.

2) Shutter speed. The slower the shutter speed, the more light the camera lets in. If you opened up to, say, 1/30 you would probably have enough light. However, it's very difficult to get a sharp picture of an inanimate object at that speed unless the camera is on a tripod. And for moving kids, I generally don't go below 1/125 and try to stay above 1/200.

3) ISO. In order to balance the other two, you can try to raise the ISO. Most modern cameras can go up to 800 without severely negative effects. Some can handle up to 6400 pretty well. Higher than that, most cameras will have trouble. This would depend on which camera you have and your personal level of how much grain is acceptable.

In the end, the best thing to do is add more light...in most cases, flash. Are you thinking only of the pop-up flash that comes with the camera? That flash looks terrible, and I completely understand why you don't want to use it. However, an external flash that mounts onto your camera can be used to bounce the flash off the walls or ceiling. This kind of flash, when used correctly, can be natural and very flattering. It can freeze action even for fast moving objects. When I take pictures of my kids indoors I nearly always use this kind of flash.

I'm shooting photos of my kids at home in the evening. How can I obtained best focus photos without using flash?
What camera? Most digital cameras have an auto-focus assist beam. This can be turned off, so make sure yours is turned on. It is a very small light that will help the AF system find the point of focus. The children probably won't object to it all all, as it is not a powerful light.

auto focus
What camera? Most digital cameras have an auto-focus assist beam. This can be turned off, so make sure yours is turned on. It is a very small light that will help the AF system find the point of focus. The children probably won't object to it all all, as it is not a powerful light.
I'm working with Canon 500D

If you don't want to add more light by using flash, then you are left with balancing the three sides of the exposure triangle.

1) Widen the aperture. With a prime lens, you can usually open up to 1.8. This would let in plenty of light. However, this means the area that will be in focus is very, very thin. If your kids are sitting perfectly still, you can get their eyes in focus. But if they are moving, it will be almost impossible. You will probably need to stop down to at least 3.5 to get very many keepers, but that of course lets in less light, which means you'll have to compromise on something else.

2) Shutter speed. The slower the shutter speed, the more light the camera lets in. If you opened up to, say, 1/30 you would probably have enough light. However, it's very difficult to get a sharp picture of an inanimate object at that speed unless the camera is on a tripod. And for moving kids, I generally don't go below 1/125 and try to stay above 1/200.

3) ISO. In order to balance the other two, you can try to raise the ISO. Most modern cameras can go up to 800 without severely negative effects. Some can handle up to 6400 pretty well. Higher than that, most cameras will have trouble. This would depend on which camera you have and your personal level of how much grain is acceptable.

In the end, the best thing to do is add more light...in most cases, flash. Are you thinking only of the pop-up flash that comes with the camera? That flash looks terrible, and I completely understand why you don't want to use it. However, an external flash that mounts onto your camera can be used to bounce the flash off the walls or ceiling. This kind of flash, when used correctly, can be natural and very flattering. It can freeze action even for fast moving objects. When I take pictures of my kids indoors I nearly always use this kind of flash.
Thank you so much for this detailed and very informative reply! I will try all your advice and also look for the flash that mounts on my camera. Many thanks!

auto focus
Weak camera for low light situation.
Get a fast lens like a 50mm 1.8, then use camera on AF-C which I think is called Servo in Canon cameras (but I might be wrong).
Keep shutter speed fast enough to freeze motion or camera shake.

auto focus
Get a fast lens like a 50mm 1.8, then use camera on AF-C which I think is called Servo in Canon cameras (but I might be wrong).
Thanks for that advice

auto focus
Thanks for that advice
BTW if you are getting a flash and want to save a lot of money get a third party flash.
I use Yongnuo, these are very cheap, very good and reliable third party flashes.

Last edited:
auto focus
Thanks for that advice
BTW if you are getting a flash and want to save a lot of money get a third party flash.
I use Yongluo, these are very cheap, very good and reliable third party flashes.
Can you please recommend a model? Thanks

auto focus
Thanks for that advice
I use Yongluo, these are very cheap, very good and reliable third party flashes.
Can you please recommend a model? Thanks
I am a Nikon fan boy so I know a bit more of the Flashes made by Yongnuo for Nikon but I do believe the Youngnuo 568 is a faily good flash.
Do your homework before you order a flash, different models come with different features, you might want to get a bit more expensive but with more features, I believe in the long run you will be happy with this decision.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back