Advice on Adding Lens

PhotosInParadise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon T5i with 18-55 kit lens. I recently added a nifty fifty prime to get better inside pics. I would like to add a lens for outdoor use. More info:

I mostly shoot photos of my two Shih Tzu.

I would like a bit more focal range than the kit lens has, but not a great deal. I am definitely not interested in a heavy weight. My biggest desire, at the moment, is to get a clear shot of one of them running fast towards me. I know getting a good shot of that takes practice but I want as good a lens as I can put on a crop camera, to get this type photo.

Since good build quality is important to me, I am really looking at the L series lenses, but read that that may be irrelevant on a crop sensor. Any advice is welcome.

All Canon EF or EFS lenses will work on your camera.

Have a look at the Canon 24-105 mm L f4 lens. It's longer than you have, focuses fast which is important for moving objects, is not huge and can often be got for not to big money as it's often bought in a kit and sold off

First lens I added to my T2i with the 18-55IS kit was the 55-250IS and that's what I'd use for what you intend to capture.
It's rather cheap too, half the weight of the 24-105 (which is, by all means a better lens) and 1/3 (or so) the price.

Actually, very seriously looking at 24-70 f/4 L and 24-105 f/4 L but do not know which would be best between those two. I am not approaching my decision based upon cost. I want the best to improve my skills with. What I am not sure is whether an f2.8 lens would be better than those two.

2.8 would for sure be better, and 24-70 is of course better then the 24-105.
Look into the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC.

Canon version costs more then twice as much and doesn't have image stabilization, something that's rather
important on a low end camera body that can't go very high in ISO.

That's actually what'll probably be my next purchase.

These were done with the 24-70 2.8 Canon (1st version, very old lens) and virtually same camera body as yours:
CY3Bnbz.jpg

You can find the full rez images here:
Portraits (models)

Replacing the 18-55IS with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 was a big improvement, but the 24-70 2.8 is even more so.

I like the faster Canon 24-70 f/2.8 but it does not have IS like the f/4 does. At twice as much in cost, I don't want to find out I wish I had gotten the IS. I don't have any problems with the nifty fifty that does not have the IS but I am thinking I might outside with trying to capture a running dog, IDK. I like the dust resistant in the lens description too. I am just a little leery of trying the 3rd arty lenses.

Your loss. :)
Some are amazing.
I currently have 1 Tokina, 1 Tamron and 1 Sigma.
ZERO canon lenses. :)

Anyways, I've probably read all 24-70 lens reviews from the past 6 years (Nikon too), used the 1st gen Canon, and took
a few pics with the Tamron and Sigma.. basically, it's hard to notice a difference in images between the Canon and Tamron.

Sigma I didn't like much. F stoppers had a nice 24-70 shootout on Youtube recently.

IS only helps with camera shake, you will still need a high shutter speed for a running dog. Its a trade off between zoom and aperture here. No doubt an f2.8 lens is in some ways better, but the 70-105 range is something I could see as useful for a dog running around. The 15mm between your 55 and 70 isn't much, yet 70-105 really increases the range. I'd go the 24-105 IS but I see why the f2.8 one is attractive option also

In my opinion the obvious choice for you is the Canon ef-s 55-250 is STM. Super sharp, light and cheap!

image.jpeg

I use ISO 800 1/1000 Al Servo to take my running dog pics. He was running 90/0.

That shot is ISO400, and you really don't need F/8.. I'd open that up a bit.

Since you already have the standard zoom lens and a 50mm prime, a telephoto or telephoto zoom lens maybe a good choice too.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens (few version out there)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4

Search "Canon EF-S 55-250 dog" or "Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 dog" in flickr.com should give you some idea what the lenses are capable.

Most reactions

Back