What's new

Advice on how to shoot this car..

JerseyJules

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
112
Reaction score
10
Location
The Armpit of America, New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a buddys car Im trying to get some good shots of. These were some practice shots at about 6:30 pm nearing dusk with a basic tree lined backdrop. I plan on doing something with a really cool backdrop,perhaps some cherry blossoms..Anyhow, this car has 17 colors in the paint and has that Chameleon paint that changes different shades of lavender with different lights and angles.

What would be the best way to get the best shots of this car using natural light? Or is this pretty much the only way?
$7815822962_3bebef9b93_b.webp

$7815783160_6f11ec85d3_b.webp
 
I'd want to use a full contingent of lights to light it up and try to show the change of the paint. In the second one it doesn't look chameleon as much as it looks like it is bad paint.

A vintage diner in the background would be pretty cool too!
 
I would agree with MLeeK, natural light will be no good, too static. You gonna have to replace movement with set of light, each at different angle. Not easy, good luck ! And worry about the background.
 
I'd want to use a full contingent of lights to light it up and try to show the change of the paint. In the second one it doesn't look chameleon as much as it looks like it is bad paint.

A vintage diner in the background would be pretty cool too!

I dont have any lighting yet..:blushing: But do you see how the parts in the first shot that appear white, change to lavender at a different angle,distance and sunlight..It is a PITA to get a decent shot of it..If you shoot straight on, it simply looks white..
 
it's a living paint.
 
I'd want about 6 strobes ranging from about 150WPS up.
Here's a good option Paul C. Buff - AlienBees I'd probably go with 6 of the B800's with softboxes and or a snoot or two or 3 for this.
 
I'd want about 6 strobes ranging from about 150WPS up.
Here's a good option Paul C. Buff - AlienBees I'd probably go with 6 of the B800's with softboxes and or a snoot or two or 3 for this.
Whoah..@$300 a piece that won't be happening anytime soon..lol I guess Im stuck with working with what nature gives me for now..
 
Well, what you attempt to do is a product photography and this is all about light.
 
Since cost is obviously an issue, why not try making some very big reflectors. You can pick up a box of (10) 30"x40" white foam boards for ~$50. You can mount these to some kind of wire or PVC framing to make a VERY large reflector. Or you could wait until the sun goes down even more and see what kind of effect a full/nearly full moon will have on the paint with a longer exposure.
 
lighting will be an issue with a flip flop paintjob for sure. as far as the background. pull that car away from the background. right now it looks as if its just parked on the side of the road. seperate it from the background and make the car the centerpiece in the image as that's what you want to show off. not the bushes behind it.
 
If I were to take the photo, I think I would try to get a different angle on it than you would usually see. I would try to shoot from the asphalt, or maybe get a ladder and use a downward prospective. Lighting is important, but if you can't get the light exactly like you want it, then you can change things up with the angle of the shot.

You may also want to try to do some HDR photography on it. Take the picture at three different exposure levels and then blend them with PhotoShop.
 
I can come up with lighting kits that would work for about $160 for each light kit, but it's lower power. Probably would work. I'd prefer to have a little more power, but it's doable at 150WPS per light.
 
I would want to use an anti tank gun, must be the worst thing i have seen on 4 wheels
 
I would want to use an anti tank gun, must be the worst thing i have seen on 4 wheels
Thanks for the reply, however I was not asking for personal opinions of the car itself, but how to properly shoot the car. I thank all of the people who was mature enough to give thought out and useful replies. I plan on trying it again with some natural light, perhaps at dawn next time.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom