advice on taking low light action shots

I think flash photography at sporting events is doable. I know I have successfully gotten away with many times in my career. It's not a distracting as some people on here make it out to be if done right.

First of all, a SB 800 (which I use an example because it's in my bag) has a pretty powerful flash that can reach out 40-50 feet if needed (which sometimes during sporting events is all you need). Next, if the field has lighting on it already most of the time a flash burst isn't that distracting to players who are in the middle of their game and aren't paying attention to the sideline. If the field is dark, this might not be as true.

I often use strobes during night sports just to add a little fill light on subjects. I have had a coach or two complain but for the most part, I would say 90 percent of the time, nobody says anything at all.

But, as already stated, the best solution is to get a high ISO body and fast glass. That is the first, and most crucial, step to shooting good sports photography at night.

I'm guessing that you are shooting high school sports. If you had a coach or two complain then that is one or two too many complaints. These events are about the sports, the players and the teams, not the photography. A sports photographer should NEVER even be noticed when they are shooting an event.

First of all, thanks so much, this is amazing, detailed, great stuff, so thanks especially to gryphonslair99 and bigtwinky, but thanks generally, anyway.

Right, so, low light sports photography is very hard, even if you have the perfect gear, it seems - my follow up question is one about light... what would you guys say about the idea of using strobing or external, hired lights, to light up the players from the pitch side?

Not something you could do regularly, but for the perfect shot, do you think it could work?

If it is high level football flash will not be allowed, i think the only Sony body that will be able to cope with low light sport is the A900 and a 300mmF2.8/ 70-200F2.8
I have shot lots of sport low light and it is not easy, the last low light sport i shot was dog agility and ended up using my Canon 5D instesd of the 1D because it was so dark, I'm talking ISO3200, F2.8, 1/320 @ 300mm

461512360_Qtbch-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back