Advice on updating camera Dx or FX ( Genuine advise)

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently shoot with a d5100 I have three lens to go with it all are DX. At the core I am an amateur/hobbyist but I now require an upgrade for the following:

I will be photographing some stage performances, not on a paid basis but as an edition to my current position. My own camera is not good in low light nor are 2 of my three lenses.

What I have been considering is:
1. move up to a d7200 and also acquire a 70 200 f2.8, in this case I would at least still have the ability to use my DX lenses and the 70 200 and only get fx lenses in the further if at all.

2. Move up to an Fx and also acquire a 70 200 f2.8, in this case my DX lenses clash with FX camera but moving now would at least spare me the cost of going to a 7200 and then going ff in the future.

What I shoot: as I said I'm an amateur, shoot varied things, motorsport, animals, etc

Initially I was going with option 1. but my concerns are, I would eventually find that I have out grown the 7200, and I will end up moving up anyway but spend more money on the journey.

Apologies now for any misspelling or bad grammar.

I have a d7200. I really like it. I think the af is probably better than the d5100, but I'm not sure that it would be significantly better in low light where noise is concerned.

I have had ff, a Canon 5d. It was good in low light but I don't think it's a good example as it's older tech.

My friend has a d750. It's a low light monster

I have a d7200. I really like it. I think the af is probably better than the d5100, but I'm not sure that it would be significantly better in low light where noise is concerned.

I have had ff, a Canon 5d. It was good in low light but I don't think it's a good example as it's older tech.

My friend has a d750. It's a low light monster

Ya it is better re your points but in low light I don't know. The difference between your 72 and the 750 is it massive even in terms of ergonomics?

When I bought my d7000 it was considered the best low light crop camera out there, and very noticeable in some of the astrophotography groups. It was good at low light and had excellent blacks.

So when I bought my d600 for more studio stuff I was completely amazed by the difference in low light ability over the d7000.

Now with lenses, since the d7000 had a in-body focus motor I only bought FX screw-drive lenses which were alot cheaper than their newer counterparts, such as
18-35 AF-D vs 18-35 AF-S
80-200/2.8 vs 70-200/2.8
and other lenses
roughly saving me thousands of dollars in the process. Yes some of the newer lenses are sharper, etc but for the hobbyist it saved a ton of money.

The main thing to remember is in darker situations you still have to have the appropriate DOF
but the ISO performance between my d7000 and d600 was fantastic for my purposes. And the d7000 quickly was just used for testing concepts (I had to use it for something - though I recently sold it).

So you could also go to the d7200 as long as you ALSO bought FX only lenses, then make the jump to FX as another step.

But if you are doing anything low light then the Full Frame will get you better shots and be more flexible.
The Crops are ever improving, but that "improvement" is also happening to the FX line too.

If you have the money to move to FX then do it and don't look back.
And always remember there are some excellent older lenses out there for a lot less money than the more modern lenses.

the difference between the D750 and D7200 is pretty much the sensor size.

D750

24MP FX
EXPEED 4 Processor
51pt AF (-3EV) (15 cross-type sensors; f/8 supported by 11 sensors)
100-12,800 iso
1/4000sec shutter
6.5fps
wifi

D7200
24MP DX
EXPEED 4 Processor
51pt AF (-3EV) (15 cross-type sensors; f/8 supported by middle sensor)
100-25,600 iso
1/8000sec shutter
6fps
wifi

Last edited:
D750 physically is like a d7200 with swivel screen and bigger sensor

I don't understand this ?
They are different bodies, with different components inside.
The d750 is built using carbon materials in the front (alloy in the back) to make it smaller and lighter

It's like when ppl would say the d600 was the d7000 with a FF sensor in it.
It wasn't - I had both . the d600 was visually larger with a newer Expeed (version 3 vs 2)processor in it, software was different, etc. But they were both Nikons and were "similar". Just like the Canons are similar. Why reinvent the wheel on each and every camera especially since (for any brand) you want ppl to move up and have similar placement of buttons, etc.?

I don't understand this ?
They are different bodies, with different components inside.
The d750 is built using carbon materials in the front (alloy in the back) to make it smaller and lighter

It's like when ppl would say the d600 was the d7000 with a FF sensor in it.
It wasn't - I had both . the d600 was visually larger with a newer Expeed (version 3 vs 2)processor in it, software was different, etc. But they were both Nikons and were "similar". Just like the Canons are similar. Why reinvent the wheel on each and every camera especially since (for any brand) you want ppl to move up and have similar placement of buttons, etc.?

Not sure whats not to understand. Pick the 2 up and they are very similar to hold. What they are made of or what you can read about magnesium etc is grand, but I have held 2 side by side and they are very similar, not exact copies but very similar

To OP this is the d7200 @ iso 9000. I'm not sure how useful an internet shot is, but I have a similar shot to this of my father printed @ 5x7 in same place with same settings. At 5x7 or even 9x6 and a stretch at 12x8 the photos at high iso that may look poor on screen zoomed right in will print rather well. They look very good in print. Try before you buy

Coffeeshop Dublin portrait by jaomul, on Flickr

OP - well, you already answered all your questions - did you not ?

The D7200 (and D7100) give you a good AF for lowlight.

The D750 would give you the best AF Nikon currently has to offer in any camera - a slight update to the D7200/D810/D4s AF that works in a stop lesser light and is even more tolerant of lenses with high minimal f-numbers; reportedly even f/6.3 lenses with a 1.4x teleconverter still work.

The D610 would be possible but the AF is substantly behind D7200 and D750.

Those are your choices.

Ya it is better re your points but in low light I don't know. The difference between your 72 and the 750 is it massive even in terms of ergonomics?
They are quite alike.

the difference between the D750 and D7200 is pretty much the sensor size.
And the flipscreen, and some small details such as exposure for faces, and of course, as mentioned, better build quality.

Does the D7200 have the "one button to 100%" feature ? I dont know. Thats kind of a biggie really, the ability to check if you nailed focus with a single button press. Thats one of the little things that one wouldnt want to miss again, ever.

And the D7200 has the advantage of a much larger AF field.

define "better build quality". be specific.

Alright guys thanks for the feedback. I think if I put the following scenario out there it may help me iron out things, and or confuse things.

1. Imagine if you will you were going to a series of river dance style celtic dance shows, what Nikon camera would you bring.
2. What lenses would you have, up to two but no more than three. ( I would think something like a standard kit or say 50mm & a 70 200)
3. This year 2015/16 I was either going to upgrade my car or camera and I've decided against the car.

4. Mash up points 1, 2, 3 and 4 with an amateur/hobbyist level operator who is in a camera club but wants to improve and what solution would you come up with.

Alright guys thanks for the feedback. I think if I put the following scenario out there it may help me iron out things, and or confuse things.

1. Imagine if you will you were going to a series of river dance style celtic dance shows, what Nikon camera would you bring.
2. What lenses would you have, up to two but no more than three. ( I would think something like a standard kit or say 50mm & a 70 200)
3. This year 2015/16 I was either going to upgrade my car or camera and I've decided against the car.

4. Mash up points 1, 2, 3 and 4 with an amateur/hobbyist level operator who is in a camera club but wants to improve and what solution would you come up with.
What's your budget ?

Most reactions

Back