What's new

Advice on used canon 1DMKII

zapman29

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Okinawa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the opportunity of picking up one of these for 600 bucks from a friend and use as my second camera instead of my 40d.. just wondering if its worth it.... i have been doing some searches and alot say that the 40D is comparable just wondering if I should get or just same my money for something later... Thanks...
 
They're very different beasts, designed primarily for different photographers, tho both are great pieces of kit. I've used both in the past, and for me the biggest differences were the slower frame rate of the 40D (6.3fps v 8.2), the increased crop factor (1.6x on 40D v 1.3x on 1D), the LCD on the 40D is MUCH better than the 1D, any EF-S lenses you've got won't work on the 1D, and the weather sealing on the 40D is nowhere near the spec of the 1D. Depends on what you shoot basically - if a fair chunk of it's sports, fast moving stuff, or rough climate then you'll be pleasantly surprised with the 1D.

Bear in mind shutter actuations too, even a mid-use 1D mk II can be approaching the 80k mark by now.
 
They're very different beasts, designed primarily for different photographers, tho both are great pieces of kit. I've used both in the past, and for me the biggest differences were the slower frame rate of the 40D (6.3fps v 8.2), the increased crop factor (1.6x on 40D v 1.3x on 1D), the LCD on the 40D is MUCH better than the 1D, any EF-S lenses you've got won't work on the 1D, and the weather sealing on the 40D is nowhere near the spec of the 1D. Depends on what you shoot basically - if a fair chunk of it's sports, fast moving stuff, or rough climate then you'll be pleasantly surprised with the 1D.

Bear in mind shutter actuations too, even a mid-use 1D mk II can be approaching the 80k mark by now.

actually he says he can prove its at 30K... thats why I am real interested.
 
actually he says he can prove its at 30K... thats why I am real interested.

Even better! if thats accurate then its a snip at $600. Here in UK you'd be looking at around £600 - thats nearer the $1000 mark!
 
went ahead and picked up. even though its older its so fast..... WOW...
 
I shot with one for a long time... its amazingly accurate AF and multispot metering. The only thing is that the camers uses nimh batteries instead os li-ion which requires a bit of maintenance to keep them happy.
 
I shot with one for a long time... its amazingly accurate AF and multispot metering. The only thing is that the camers uses nimh batteries instead os li-ion which requires a bit of maintenance to keep them happy.
thanks I will have to do some research to make sure i keep them good... thanks..
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom