Advice on what lens I should choose

nakedeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all....

I am in a bit of a pickle which I'm sure most of you have been in yourselves at one stage or another as to what lens I should go for.
The choice is either the canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX.. I know the later is a wee bit more expensive and I've heard it has focus issues???

The 2nd choice is either the canon 70-200 f/4 IS or the 70-200 f/2.8 without IS..
I have a 20D Body and I mainly shoot everyday pictures, ie people, landscapes, still life, travel & weddings.

I know there is a price difference between the 4 lenses but that is not an issue as its not a massive difference in price although the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is a bit out of my budget..
So I would like to get some advise from people who have had the pleasure of using these lenses and generally have a good idea for the lens of my requirements.. I've read reviews on all 4 lenses and they all seem very positive but they don't make the issue of choosing a lens easy for me..
Look forward to your comments..
icon_confused.gif

I have the Canon 50mm 1.4 and can say that I really enjoy that lens. I cannot comment on the Sigma. I personally only buy Canon lenses. I bought a Canon body because I like the lenses they make.

Your zoom choices really come down to what you shoot. If you are going to be shooting inside and need the faster glass, get the 2.8. The F4 is a great lens for outside. It's light and VERY sharp. I have the 2.8 and the F4. If I am going to a sports event outside, I easily grab the F4. For a wedding, I take the 2.8L IS.

Last edited:
I have the Canon 50mm 1.4 and can say that I really enjoy that lens. I cannot comment on the Sigma. I personally only buy Canon lenses.

Me too (on all points).

I don't know how the Sigma compares to the Canon, but the Canon lens is great - you won't be disappointed by it. WAY better build quality than the "nifty fifty", better bokeh too (more aperture blades).

I have the 70-200 f/4 L (non-IS) - it's the only one I've used of the four 70-200's. I like it a lot. I suppose, if you can afford it, go for the most you can get. They are all "L" lenses though, and they are all quality glass.

If you're shooting outdoors, and static scenes indoors, then go for the f/4 IS. If you're going to be shooting movement indoors, then go for the f/2.8.

I would go for the Sigma 50 1.4. Although there are many issues with that lens, if you buy new its just a pain in the butt to exchange or repair. It whips the Canon equivalent in my opinion, heck it whips most brands equivalent. Just be prepared to give it a good test when you get it and go from there.

And get the 70-200 2.8, you won't regret it.

Cheers guys...
I have decided to go for the canon 50mm and the f/4 IS.. I think the weight of the 2.8 swung me in the opposite direction in the end..
Goodluck

Congrats. You will love both of those.

I'm late, but I was going to recommend the two that you chose.

For anything but action, I think the f/4 zoom you chose is better. I believe I read that it gives more than one stop advantage for hand-holding, so you'll be better off most of the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back