Advice please? Looking for a camera for family pictures, bird pictures & landscapes?

I don't think the flash will work with the manual lenses on the 3300 (at least it does not on mine but there may be a setting I don't know about). however I have never needed it when taking bird photos (I typically go out during the day). If I really need a flash (although its only good under 1/125) I have an old Sunpak I found at a flea market, for $5 it does a bang up job when I need it to. I am a big fan of using the older glass on the newer cameras when it comes to being on a budget. Along with the 300mm I found a 50mm 1.2 AI-S at the same antique store for quite a deal...
It does. Go into menu and you will see TTL, change it to manual and select the power. I use on my onboard flash this way outside a lot, even with CPU lens. Great for flash fill. @Derrel posted a link some time ago to using your onboard flash, works great in certain situations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! Ill give it a shot when I get home!

Yup, He needs to manually set his ISO, aperture on the lens, and change his flash to manual. You are right though, good way to get some decent glass if he takes the time to look around for it. I have a Pre-AI 50mm 1.4 that renders a real nice image but it is usually on my Nikon F.

Here is a quick and dirty compatibility chart.
Nikon Lens Compatibility

I don't think the flash will work with the manual lenses on the 3300 (at least it does not on mine but there may be a setting I don't know about). however I have never needed it when taking bird photos (I typically go out during the day). If I really need a flash (although its only good under 1/125) I have an old Sunpak I found at a flea market, for $5 it does a bang up job when I need it to. I am a big fan of using the older glass on the newer cameras when it comes to being on a budget. Along with the 300mm I found a 50mm 1.2 AI-S at the same antique store for quite a deal...
It does. Go into menu and you will see TTL, change it to manual and select the power. I use on my onboard flash this way outside a lot, even with CPU lens. Great for flash fill. @Derrel posted a link some time ago to using your onboard flash, works great in certain situations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here is the link @Derrel suggested some time ago. Great instruction can be found in here.
Strobist

Most reactions

Back