Advice required on selling band photos

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so last night I went to a gig in town, the band was a NZ group called Six60 who are rising rapidly in popularity, and this was their first overseas show. I went to uni with one of the band members so I'm sort of a 'friend of the band' I guess you could say. I took my gripped 5D along with the 50mm 1.4, 15mm fisheye, speedlight and the mighty 70-200 2.8 IS, and battled my way through the packed club to get some good shots. I'm still in the process of sorting through all the shots and will editing a few and aiming to get about 20 really good shots out of the 300 odd that I took of the band. I think I did okay (never really shot many bands before, and only once before in this kind of lighting/environment) and I'll post up a couple of shots later.

Anyway, I talked to the band's manager and she's keen to get some shots off me for the band. We didn't discuss any sort of cost and I'm not sure if she's expecting freebies or what. Because I'm mates with one of the guys I feel somewhat obliged to hook them up with a few shots, and I don't mind in the least doing that as a favour for them. What I was thinking of doing is sending the manager 5-6 good shots, one of each of the band members in action and a couple of group/stage shots, and telling her she can have them free, then any other shots she likes from the album she can buy for a reasonable price.
So, is that a good idea? I'm honestly not fussed about to screw cash out of them, but if I can get paid I'd love to since I'm broke as hell and if I can't make my $1000's worth of camera gear start paying for itself a little bit then I might be forced to sell some gear (which I don't really want to do, although a couple of grand for the 70-200 right now would be awesome).
If I end up giving them a few shots free, should I say something like the photos can be used online for promotional purposes, but if she wants to use them in any kind of print media that she has to pay me for it? Is that even a thing? I'm obviously pretty new to trying to sell photos. Or maybe I would be better off just throwing her a bunch of low res shots and if she wants hi-res versions she has to pay for them? It's a balancing act of helping them out and helping myself, and any advice you lot can give would be appreciated. Just remember that this is Australia and a New Zealand band - we are a lot more chilled out about legal stuff over here than in the USA for example, so contracts and disclaimers and release forms are not something I really want to get into. Thanks in advance!

Also, for anyone who's interested check out Six60's facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=205600195#!/Six60 they have a few tracks you can listen to. They have a very unique original sound - If I had to describe them I'd say they are a rockband with heavy dub, drum & bass and dubstep influences, which makes them pretty awesome in my books.

Hmmm... I think what I would do is take a few of your best shots (as you said, one of each member) and then a couple of the group and show them to the manager and say that this is a sample of your work, and is he interested in having you shoot some proper promo shots for a very reasonable fee (because you're a friend of the band). If he offers to buy the shots you've shown him, great, if he takes you up on the additional promos, even better. If he wants the shots for free, I would give them to him on the condition that he agree to paying for further promo shots.

Most reactions

Back