Advice Welcomed (Portraits)

JWellman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jwellmandesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son is helping me today and will return in an hour to resume photos. I tried to find interesting locations and to take a few quick shots of him to see if I liked the captures while he's at his appointment. We were only able to play for about 15 minutes and then the took off!

As some of you know I've been concentrating my efforts on bird photography but since I started the "One Image a Day" project (and purchased a 50mm lens) I've found myself shooting everything but the birds.

I feel one of my absolute worst areas to photograph is human portraits. I'm horrible at them. I'm hoping to spend the next few weeks asking people to pose for me and that's why I ask my son if he would help me today. Sadly I do not have the fancy lighting (or knowledge) that most of you have so I'm limited on what I can accomplish at the this point.

The photo below was just one of three tests shots. He was holding his son and the two of them were acting kind of goofy (hence the small hand and Monster Truck in the photo :sexywink:) so I had to crop a lot out. Despite the quickness of the test photos, I really like the composition on this one and can't wait for him to get back so I can have another go.

I did notice that I missed the focus on his eyes and I also don't like the shadow on the left side of his face.

Any advice before he returns?!??!

josh_1_smaller.jpg

I did notice that I missed the focus on his eyes and I also don't like the shadow on the left side of his face.
Getting accurate focus is key. If you miss focus, toss the image and try again.

As for the shadow, that's the best part of this image (IMO). The key to portraits, is lighting....and usually, you want to show the shape of your model's face by lighting only part of it, and having part of it in shadow. There are many specific patterns of portrait lighting; Rembrandt, Loop, Butterfly etc. There is also the lighting ratio to think about.
In your case, you have a high ratio because there is a big difference between the lit part of his face and the shadow side. High ratios tend to be more dramatic, while low ratios tend to be more...soft, subtle etc.

Thanks Mike... I didn't think of the shadow that way. I purchased a photography book a few weeks ago and it's nothing but photos of the artist's work. I have been drawn to everything he does. I really like his work. I would love to accomplish his portrait lighting... I just don't know how. See his site here. The bad thing about his book is he doesn't tell you much about 'how' he does things.

While posting to you I searched for his site to leave you the link. I'm anxious now to see if he has any articles.

I was really disappointed when my son's 'one hour' return ended up to be six hours! By the time he returned yesterday afternoon the lighting was not what I wanted. I guess the test photo I took is going to be a one hit wonder since he's flying to Phoenix today. Oh well, hopefully he will let me try again when he comes home.

I'm still missing the eye focus. I just need tons of practice. Bad thing is I also need PEOPLE. :lol:

Grandson, Preston

IMG_6959BW.jpg

Son, Josh

IMG_7018BW.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back