Advice When Shooting With Fog Machine

Some good tips here. I'll have to take them in account when I try to work with fog machines or even smoke bombs

I haven't tried the fog machine outside yet, so I can attest to how much effect it might produce, but in small studio it's more then adequate. The one thing nice about the water based fog juice is it's easy to make (6 oz bottle of glycerin + 24 oz of distilled water), cheap, and less likely to cause irritation to the nose, eyes, and lungs (I have asthma). You can also add a couple of drops of essential oil to add all kinds of smells!!

Some good tips here. I'll have to take them in account when I try to work with fog machines or even smoke bombs

I haven't tried the fog machine outside yet, so I can attest to how much effect it might produce, but in small studio it's more then adequate. The one thing nice about the water based fog juice is it's easy to make (6 oz bottle of glycerin + 24 oz of distilled water), cheap, and less likely to cause irritation to the nose, eyes, and lungs (I have asthma). You can also add a couple of drops of essential oil to add all kinds of smells!!
how about "vaping" "while you work"?

how about "vaping" "while you work"?

Not my thing. LOL However I did see a cloud with legs walking across a parking lot the other day. As it got closer I could see that it was a guy with some kind of large vape thingy. He was putting out some significant fog!!!

Went to a gallery exhibit at Kelby here in FL a few months ago and the photographer had gone to temples somewhere near india. The windows were covered with a cross hatch of horiziontal and vertical bars leaving about one inch square openings. Sun was coming directly through it and he had significant particulate in the air. It made the beams of light visible. No way would be allowed to use electricity if there was any, to run a fog machine so I asked him what he used. Several sticks of incense. Ohmmm. Something I have added to my travel kit.

@mrca the incense sticks would be a no no for me, something about them that really irritates the nose. I have however improvised with a ball of paper towel about the size of a marble, in a metal bowl, light it then blow it out. It will smolder and produce nice tendrils. The locals call this a smoke tree.
Smoke Tree fire06132017_454.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back