Advise for business cards

Shellie17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone give me any advise on getting my first set of real business cards done? I have a printer already lined up but I have a small budget so I want to make sure I get a decent card printed but not kill the budget at the same time. It was recommended that I have someone design a card for me and to "think big" but I am not sure the budget will allow it at this time. I am thinking a thick card stock with rounded corners and the UV protection on the front. I am not sure if I should just starts with a simple solid background or throw a picture on there.

Any thought would be a great help!

Thanks!
~Shellie

Forget the rounded corners, and forget the UV protection.

Seriously, who's gonna keep one of your cards in the sun that long?

One thing I think is important is to keep it simple. If you make it look tacky, nobody wants to call you.

My brother has made business cards for his business. He does work with trees (falling, de-limbing, etc)...so it just says "Bryon's Tree Service" and his name, number, email..

It has a little picture of a tree on it with a green background.

If he decided to put a chainsaw, and a rope, and a tree, and a wood chipper on it...I think people would find it a joke and throw it out.

go to vistaprint.com

they do 250 cards for just the postage.

i order from the uk site and they are great you can pick from loads of designs and order as many times as you like for just the cost of postage.

let me know what you think??

I'm in the opposite camp. I'd get the best card you can afford. If your card looks cheap, you look cheap.

I'm in the opposite camp. I'd get the best card you can afford. If your card looks cheap, you look cheap.

i am cheap ha ha

my top package for a wedding is 400 pound [english]

but i only do it for fun not a living.

and the vistaprint ones are very good

Do yourself a favor and dont use vistaprint, their stuff looks cheap and crappy.

Check on White House Custom Color, their stuff is relatively cheap and looks excellent! They have really nice card stocks, (I prefer the pearl paper for my cards) and they also have the UV that you want.

Also, I agree with Cindy in saying that a better card reflects better on you. I personally don't even do a lot of small business cards, I do a 4.5 x 4.5 size card. That way I can get a lot of my work (pictures) on there at a decent size, and it is bigger and therefore catches the eye more (if displayed in a doctors office or something) and it is harder to lose.

Good luck!

i dont know if vistaprint usa are different from the uk company, but my cards are just fine.

maybe the uk company is better quality than the usa ones.?

Actually you can do a beautiful, professional card yourself in Adobe. Size your canvas 2" x 3.5" and use one of your own photos with your info done in text. Have several printed on 8 x 10 and cut. This is a fraction of the cost for similar cards printed elsewhere. Have printed on matte finish if offered. (At least that's what I do!)(I blacked out some personal info)

Sample:
photobucket.jpg

I second the vote against VistaPrint. I've used them once and will never use them again. They over-charged me and then refused to refund, no matter how many so-called "managers" I petitioned.

There is a difference between simple and cheap. Textured top (it just has to feel nice to your finger tips), bold letters, contact info, a SIMPLE logo. Anything that is over the top decorated looks terribly unprofessional

just my opinion

I second the vote against VistaPrint. I've used them once and will never use them again. They over-charged me and then refused to refund, no matter how many so-called "managers" I petitioned.

not possible to be over charge here in uk.

we only pay for post and packaging on vista print for 250 cards and wn paying by pay pal the price you will pay comes up on the screen then you click 'BUY'

I agree with you 110%. Always put your best foot forward. Also see what the competition is doing... if your card doesn't look as nice your competition could get called first and get the job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back