Advise on Lens (please)

I am cought in these... I want IS, would prefer L series, prefer fixed apperture (2.8:drool: or 4). Budget is falling short.

As a non professional / amature photographer any suggestion for order of priority or something that I should give up? I would stick to canon as a brand against any TP lens.

What is the period of technical obsolescence for a lens. I believe that body becomes obsolete in 3-4 years.

Ketan

Lenses will likely last many years. Lenses rarely become obsolete but they do now and again. Even so, that lens will still work - and if it's good now that won't change. Take the 85mm f1.2L. A cracking lens and the MkII is also a cracking lens just slightly faster in AF. The original still works well though for it's uses.

Bodies on the other hand are being upgraded about every 18 months and will eventually stop working but there's no hard and fast rule on this either.

Regards lenses, yes the Canon L lenses are superior. But you can get L quality by purchasing some nice sharp prime lenses like the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4. many zooms struggle to reach the sharpness of these lenses.

If you must have a zoom and you must have canon your choices are limited.

EF 16-35mm f2.8
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS
EF 24-70 f2.8L
EF 24-105mm f4L IS

None will be redundant for the foreseeable future although some say that a 24-70 f2.8 with IS may be a possibility at some point. With the f4L there I'm not sure they'll manufacture one though.

My choice was the 24-105 f4L IS mainly because I already had the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. The tamron has not been on my camera since I bought the L though.

If your budget is limited (and when is it not?!), having the lens you can afford is better than not having the lens you can't :wink:

I would definitely not limit yourself to one brand out of principle, if it means not having the lens you need. It sounds like you have used third-party glass before and not been impressed... but consider that not all lenses made by one company are the same; for example would you judge Canon glass overall by their kit lens?

Notice that though EOS_JD has Canon L zooms and primes, he also has a Tamron 17-35mm which apparently he still uses. Now of course it will not be as impressive as the fast L zooms, but I am sure he would not be using it at all if it were a poor lens. I use this lens as well there is no doubt it would be better than your kit lens... it appears to compare well (optically) against Canon's 17-40mm f4L, especially considering the price difference, and with the advantage of a faster aperture at the wide end. Now I'm not specifically recommending this lens for your needs, just pointing out that there are more options if you don't limit yourself to a certain brand or lens series.

If your budget is limited (and when is it not?!), having the lens you can afford is better than not having the lens you can't :wink:

I have now started to think seriously about TP lenses. Do they also have something like IS or is that pateted by Canon only?

Any view on EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ?

Ketan

I have now started to think seriously about TP lenses. Do they also have something like IS or is that pateted by Canon only?

Any view on EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ?

Ketan

Like I stated above my preference is for lenses with a faster (larger) max aperture than f5.6. around 100mm-135mm this lens is pretty slow f5.6 is pretty poor for shooting indoors without flash. If however you plan to use flash or you don't intend using the lens in low light then it'll be fine.

The IS does help this lens but shoot a moving subject and suddenly you need high ISO again (or possible a faster lens). Try this in a building like a low lit church and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not saying the 28-135 is a poor lens as it does what it's meant to doi and is a capable lens but it was too slow for me.

I repeat again, look at the Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 f2.8 lenses. Fast and sharp and reasonably well built.

Sigma uses Optical Stabalisation (OS)
Tamron uses Vibration Compensation (VC) - http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/28300_vc.asp
Nikon uses Vibration Reduction (VR)

The IS will help for stationary subjects but it doesn't help with moving subjects. A fast max aperture will help more than IS will in many circumstances.

Don't just look at the range when deciding either. IS becomes more useful for longer lenses.

I would definitely not limit yourself to one brand out of principle, if it means not having the lens you need. It sounds like you have used third-party glass before and not been impressed... but consider that not all lenses made by one company are the same; for example would you judge Canon glass overall by their kit lens?

Notice that though EOS_JD has Canon L zooms and primes, he also has a Tamron 17-35mm which apparently he still uses. Now of course it will not be as impressive as the fast L zooms, but I am sure he would not be using it at all if it were a poor lens. I use this lens as well there is no doubt it would be better than your kit lens... it appears to compare well (optically) against Canon's 17-40mm f4L, especially considering the price difference, and with the advantage of a faster aperture at the wide end. Now I'm not specifically recommending this lens for your needs, just pointing out that there are more options if you don't limit yourself to a certain brand or lens series.

Yes I use it but not too often these days. The fast max aperture is why I use it and the nice bokeh when used up close :)

To be fair though the 10-22 and the 24-105 are used more and I'm considering selling the Tamron. Not because it's poor but because I cover the range with other lenses. It's kept as a useful back up justy now though.

I spent a day at local shopping mall and took some indoor shots and exactly understood that why fast lens is critical.
Photos are attached below. Not very sharp due to mostly speed slower than even 1/20-30 hand held (I guess)
I hate flash. As far as possible I prefer combinations like higher ISO, larget apperture etc over using flash.
I will surely have a look at Tamron seriously.
L series or fixed apperture of Canon is way above my budget, especially I feel guilty to spend so much when I am not using it to earn something out of it.
Thanks friends for educating me with so much of patience.
(Just for info: the first photo is 'Alien vs Predator' creature made of steel, 7 feet tall and for sale for AED 25,000 (appx USD 7,000)!

18511-IMG_0784.jpg

18511-IMG_0762.jpg

18511-IMG_0830.jpg

18511-IMG_0803.jpg

18511-IMG_0798.jpg

18511-IMG_0790.jpg

Hi,

I tried to locate Tamron dealer (unfortunately he is closed today, shall try again tomorrow).

In the mean time Canon came out with revised price list.

24-70 f/2.8 $ 1419 :
I find f/2.8 is extremely attractive but the 24-70 range seems a bit small to me as a walk around. May be it will well match with my future purchase of 70-200 f/4

24-105 f/4 IS $ 1162 :
Good range for walk around but do you think that f/4 is fast enough for non professional and I will not be missing f/2.8?

After seeing TCimages gallary I have already made up my mind on 100mm f/2.8 Macro $ 684

I know that I am stretching this thread too much but afterall it is a big decision for me, so kindly bear with me.

Thanks/Ketan

Hi,

I tried to locate Tamron dealer (unfortunately he is closed today, shall try again tomorrow).

24-70 f/2.8 $ 1419 :
I find f/2.8 is extremely attractive but the 24-70 range seems a bit small to me as a walk around. May be it will well match with my future purchase of 70-200 f/4

24-105 f/4 IS $ 1162 :
Good range for walk around but do you think that f/4 is fast enough for non professional and I will not be missing f/2.8?

After seeing TCimages gallary I have already made up my mind on 100mm f/2.8 Macro $ 684

I know that I am stretching this thread too much but afterall it is a big decision for me, so kindly bear with me.

Thanks/Ketan

I'm shooting a 30D and have the following zooms. 10-22 f3.5, 24-70f2.8L and the 70-200f2.8L and could not be happier. For zooms, that pretty much covers the range. The 10-22 and a Tamron 17-50f2.8 are my only EF-S lenses I own. The Tammy now gathers dust. The rest of my kit consists right now of the 28mmf1.8, 50mmf1.4, 85mmf1,8, 100mmf2.8 macro and 135mmf2.0L.

The Tammy is a good piece of glass and I still like it, but the 24-70 eclipses it in every way including price. I am looking to add a second body and will probably go with the 5D. The Tammy will probably see some use then on the 30D as the 24-70 will end up on the 5D most of the time. Good luck.

Hi,

24-70 f/2.8 $ 1419 :

24-105 f/4 IS $ 1162 :

Thanks/Ketan

If you are not a pro the 24-105 f4L IS will be fine for most of your shooting. In low light just up the iso and you should be ok. Even if you are a pro, the f4L is a cracking lens to own. I shoot weddings and use it a lot. A local pro also uses it (with flash) for the whole wedding and she's charging over $3000 (£1600)!! So it's not a bad lens and sure f2.8 is handy but the range and quality of this lens is excellent. I've not even mentioned the IS. Which works really well with this lens (saving you having to use a tripod at times).

The 100 Macro is a great lens but quality wise all manufacturers similar macros (Sigmas 105mm and Tamron's 90mm) are also quality lenses.

Both these lenses are superb.

The 70-200 f4L is also a cracking lens but save a bit and get the IS version. A much better buy.

Most reactions

Back