Aerial photography anyone?

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend has access to a small prop plane and would like to get an aerial shot of his house. A guy was going to charge him 350 for an 11x14 print, but wants to know if I would do it for less if he hooks me up with the plane. His brother in law has the plane. Sounds like a good business contact to have.

Question is, any idea what shutter speed would be to freeze motion from a plane? Guessing above 1/500th or so would, but thought I would check first.

If he wants an aerial photo of his house...why not use google maps and screen capture? Seems like it would be easier than renting a plane.

A. He's not renting. Its his brother in laws plane.
B. We dont live in New Orleans. Our google maps out here in the sticks arent what they are in the city.
C. If you think the below would look good blown up to 11x14, your expectations are a little low. That is max size. lol

landonRd.jpg

Small Airplane windows are plexiglass. If that small airplane has lived most of it's life outside, chances are the windows are pretty hazy. Need more information on what kind of airplane you'll be in. Make & Model

If its a high-wing Cessna, more likely than not there will be a fairly large passenger window that will open about 4 inches out. Undo the hinge an it will open all the way and the airflow will keep it up against the bottom of the wing. If the airplane is a low wing, the window will be pretty small and the wing will be in the way. Some larger low & high wing planes have utility doors in the back that can be removed. You could shoot from the back, but then you would need a harness or parachute. (Personally, I'd rather have the 'chute than dangle below the plane, but that's just me)

Make sure your lens & body are dust sealed. Holding it outside at 90mph or so is like taking an air hose to it.

As far as the settings go for shooting the ground. That depends on the focal length you plan to use. Which depends on how high above the ground you'll be. You'll have airplane vibration, wind buffet and maybe turbulence to deal with. Turbulence will be the biggest factor in holding the camera still.

Oh, make sure the pilot has done this sort of thing before. Get a chart out and brief on the ground and make it clear what you want to accomplish in the air.

Last edited:
B. We dont live in New Orleans. Our google maps out here in the sticks arent what they are in the city.
C. If you think the below would look good blown up to 11x14, your expectations are a little low. That is max size. lol

landonRd.jpg

Points taken lol :p

Good info, I will check back with him in the morning and check out what he has. He probably wont know anyway, but I will send him on a mission to find out. Thanks

As for the camera 70-200 2.8 IS, with a 2x teleconverter on a 1.6 crop body.

landonRd.jpg

Points taken lol :p

Some day those satellites will find us. For now, were just incognito.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back