First Wedding

wlbphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello forum,
Name is Wilson, this past Friday i had my first wedding. It was for a good friend's sister, she had told her sister that i was into Photography. So they asked me. She also asked how much i would charge, i didn't have a clue what to charge. I had told her let me do the wedding and will see how these photos come and go from there. Well wedding day came i showed up at the house at 3:30pm it was a wedding at the house. Started taking Photos like around 4:00p and didn't finish till 12:00am. Took a Few hundred photos. I'm planning to make a small album a slideshow CD NO PRINTS. Here is were i nee help how much to charge..

1 question? If you are not a pro photographer why are you charging? seriously? I am not trying to be an ass?

You really should agree to a price before shooting something like that. Without knowing the quality of your shots, her expectations, your market, and your results, it would be difficult to put a price on something.

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't charge for something that I did for a friend as a first attempt where I wasn't confident enough about how the shots would turn out to set a price beforehand. I would chalk it up to a wedding gift and experience. Just my .02.

1 question? If you are not a pro photographer why are you charging? seriously? I am not trying to be an ass?

I know your not trying to be an ass. but you do got a point..

You really should agree to a price before shooting something like that. Without knowing the quality of your shots, her expectations, your market, and your results, it would be difficult to put a price on something.

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't charge for something that I did for a friend as a first attempt where I wasn't confident enough about how the shots would turn out to set a price beforehand. I would chalk it up to a wedding gift and experience. Just my .02.
sounds like a good idea, but since im thinking of making an album, would it just be safe to tell her to just pay for that?

don't worry about the album and prints, don't charge any thing and just give them a CD

I agree with Kerbouchard, if they decided they wanted to give you money for your time, i would think serious about keeping the money, or turning it down. I was asked to do a wedding, and i VERY RELUCTANTLY agreed, horrible experience btw, and they paid me 200 dollars, i didn't want to take it, but they insisted that it was too much work to do for free, so i did.

sounds like a good idea, but since im thinking of making an album, would it just be safe to tell her to just pay for that?

If your shots came out well and they are cool with it, I would see no problem with selling them an album. I wouldn't lose money on it, but I don't think you should try to make a lot of money on this one, either...then again, if you show us some examples, it would help us know what kind of product you would be selling.

I agree with Kerbouchard, if they decided they wanted to give you money for your time, i would think serious about keeping the money, or turning it down. I was asked to do a wedding, and i VERY RELUCTANTLY agreed, horrible experience btw, and they paid me 200 dollars, i didn't want to take it, but they insisted that it was too much work to do for free, so i did.

Your right about one thing it is a lot of work to shoot any type of event. I'm just stuck
this is what i think i should so show the bride the photos and if she likes them ill let here decide if she wants to make an album.

Ok. Future reference! you need to know what you charge, why you charge it, and have the means to show images that prove that you deserve the money that you charge. Until then you my shoot for free.

Do some research on what albums cost and then offer them to them. I would not charge them anything for your time. If they want an album then tell them the amount and thank them for letting you learn with them.

The first 3 weddings I did for free but I had already researched albums, custom cd's and much more. I had a slight mark up but it was not very much. The first album I sold cost me 120 and I charged 175. I did not tell them the 125 part. Now if I was to do a wedding some of the albums I make are up to 400 and I charge around 800+. Everything you offer you need to know about before you take a picture.

Good luck and do some research, there is a ton out there!

Also all three of those weddings got a CD with the images and a release form so they could print the images. I just asked that if they were happy with the images to tell their friends about me and if they were not to please tell me.

All three weddings gave me a tip/donation as a thank you. The couple that bought that first album gave me 500 so all my work. I am not saying go shoot weddings for 500 but it was cool at the time. I would not shoot a wedding for less then 3000 now.

My story ends after November 11 2011. I am shoot a friends wedding because I want to and that will be the last wedding I am going to do for a long. Not my cup of tea! I have shot 9 in the last 15 months and I am good. It is something you really need to be into and love! I like the challenge and take pride in my work but I love other stuff much more!

Last edited:
Ok. Future reference! you need to know what you charge, why you charge it, and have the means to show images that prove that you
deserve the money that you charge. Until then you my shoot for free.

Do some research on what albums cost and then offer them to them. I would not charge them anything for your time. If they want an album then tell them the amount and thank them for letting you learn with them.

The first 3 weddings I did for free but I had already researched albums, custom cd's and much more. I had a slight mark up but it was not very much. The first album I sold cost me 120 and I charged 175. I did not tell them the 125 part. Now if I was to do a wedding some of the albums I make are up to 400 and I charge around 800+. Everything you offer you need to know about before you take a picture.

Good luck and do some research, there is a ton out there!

i thank all the feed back you all had good things to say.. thanks, this is why i love this forum. <3 :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back