What's new

Aerial Tour of the Iowa State Capitol Complex.

That's great! I really want a drone. They look like a lot of fun.

A friend of mine is stationed at a coast guard base on Lake Erie and he just confiscated one from a guy. I guess the guy was standing outside the base gate and sent his quad copter into base airspace to take aerial videos of the base. My friend said originally they were gonna shoot it out of the sky but, opted instead to force the guy to land it (straight down) and hand over the remote. I believe they haven't yet returned it back to its rightful owner either. That was a costly mistake on the guys part.
 
That's great! I really want a drone. They look like a lot of fun.

A friend of mine is stationed at a coast guard base on Lake Erie and he just confiscated one from a guy. I guess the guy was standing outside the base gate and sent his quad copter into base airspace to take aerial videos of the base. My friend said originally they were gonna shoot it out of the sky but, opted instead to force the guy to land it (straight down) and hand over the remote. I believe they haven't yet returned it back to its rightful owner either. That was a costly mistake on the guys part.

A big no-no on a military installation or specific US Gov't building (whitehouse, pentagon, etc).

I bought my son one of those drones fir christmas. I'm still trying to get it airborne on a stable flight in the house. Much less outside.

Sparky, Have you had any issues with wind ??
 
..........Sparky, Have you had any issues with wind ??


Not really, but I tend to fly only when it's calm. A slight breeze won't affect much, other than you need to keep in mind the accuracy of consumer-grade products with GPS. It's not pin-point accurate like the military... you have a much wider margin of error with these. So the bird may drift off downwind for 5-10 feet before it starts to correct itself. That may end putting it in a tree or building, so be careful flying close to things in the wind.

A gusty breeze is worse. Tosses the bird around a bit more, and makes the video shaky. So calm days are my first choice.
 
So the bird may drift off downwind...
Tosses the bird around ..

Now you're talking like an aviator!

Next thing will be talking like a film producer!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom