AF Lenses on a Digital Nikon?

jorleycom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,
I have an old N6006 with a few AF lenses and I am wondering if there is a Digital Nikon that can use these AF lenses?

Thanks in advance

For the most part, they will mount. Whether they autofocus depends on the lens itself and the DSLR body you choose. Metering may be another issue.

Unless we know specifically which lenses you have, we really can't give you a blanket answer.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm looking to buy a used digital body for use with the following lenses: Nikkor 70-210 1:4-56 and a 28 2.8.

Any recommendations

Thanks

Hello all,
I have an old N6006 with a few AF lenses and I am wondering if there is a Digital Nikon that can use these AF lenses?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the lenses of course but odds are good they probably won't have built in focus motors, so if you want autofocus then you'll be a little more limited in your choices of Nikon bodies, you'll need a body that has a built in focus motor. So for example a Nikon in the 7xxx series, such as the 7000, 7100, 7200 will be able to use the AF features of the lens fine. Entry level bodies such as those in the 3xxx or 5xxx series do not have the built in focus motor, so you could still use the lenses but the AF features wouldn't work, you'd have to manually focus them.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm looking to buy a used digital body for use with the following lenses: Nikkor 70-210 1:4-56 and a 28 2.8.

Any recommendations

Thanks

As robbins replied, you'll probably need a body with a focus motor. I would assume that your lenses are AF or AF-D lenses that focus using a mechanical connection between the lens and body.

A quick way to verify this is to turn the focus ring on the lens while looking at the lens mount. If there's what looks like a recessed screw (with a flat slot) that turns while you move the focus ring, that tells you the body needs a focus motor.

The screw turns.

Thanks

The screw turns.

Thanks

No worries. So depending on your budget and how new/nice a DSLR your in the market for, you should have quite a few choics actually. This is off the top of my head mind you, but Nikon bodies with built in focus motors:

In APS-C sensors:

D50, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300
Nikon 7xxx series

Full frame models:
D6xx, D7xx, D8xx

And of course all of their pro models
Dx

So really you do have a pretty wide range of options, the older models such as the D50-D300 are usually available from dirt cheap to pretty reasonable used, the 7xxx series is a bit newer and will give you a DSLR that will probably suit your needs for years to come without breaking the piggy bank.

If you want to go with FX of course your looking at quite a bit more investment in the camera body, anything in the D600/D800 line will be more expensive than the APS-C sensors of course. As for the pro models, well if you can afford those you can probably afford new lenses. - lol.

jorleycom said:
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm looking to buy a used digital body for use with the following lenses: Nikkor 70-210 1:4-56 and a 28 2.8.Any recommendations?Thanks

Those lenses would be AF or AF-D models, which will meter properly and shoot photos just fine on all the Nikon or Fuji digital SLR bodies, as long as the lens is set to minimum aperture. They will not **autofocus** on the baby Nikons, which would be the D60,D40,D40x,or the D3000-series, or the D5000-series. Those will give you light metering, f/stop control,in P,A,M,S,P modes.

If you want a used Nikon that will autofocus with those two lenses the D100,D50,D70,D70s,D80,D90, D200,D300,D300s and ALL of the 1-digit models will work, as will the newer D700,D600,D610,D800,D810,D750,D500.

If you want a decent, low-cost body in the $100-$150 range the D80 and D90 are often available at low prices. D1x bodies are $199 or so around here. D2x and D2Xs are $450-$600 or so. For those two lenses, a low-MP camera of 12MP like D700 or D3 or D3s would be great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back