AF vs Manual - When do YOU use it?

I use my Blad a lot, and trust me, I can't afford an autofocus Hasselblad. :lol: Besides, I feel like using AF and film is kinda cheating, since I use it to test skills and to slow myself down to think of what the final product is going to look.

With my night stuff, if it's a car or a object, I fire a flashlight at the car where I want to focus, set the focus point, lock the AF, then set the camera to manual focus so it doesn't hunt in very, very low light. Otherwise, it's infinity focus and done.

I love AF but really enjoy shooting manual when I am working on portraits and the background is busy. Sometimes AF won't focus on what I need it to, and the manual can really come in handy!
I also have a new lens that is AF with manual overdrive, and I really like being able to choose where I want the pictures focus, rather then relying on the AF.

Autofocus almost ALL the time.
Manual Focus for astro and macro photography. Light years away and 30cm away.

I'm finding with my 11-16mm lens i just set MF to infinity. well unless i need to photograph something up close.

When I shoot film, I'm always on manual focus. Guess it's preference!

When I shoot digital, I'm always on auto-focus unless I'm working in low light.

Pretty much AF all the time. There was a period where I tried MF just for the heck of it, but found it quite pointless to waste time and effort on something the camera can do much better than I can, because when a shot looked OK, and I looked at it on my PC, it wasn't as sharp as it can be.

Haven't had situations where I needed MF yet. I tried nightphotography once, and was amazed by the results I got, and I didn't have it on MF..

Yes, many current cameras have very poor support for manual focussing.

Thats one thing these mirrorless cameras are actually brilliant at.

That's the thing with Leica M cameras... You don't have the choice.

Most reactions

Back