Affordable but light tripod

renkockwell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay i just sold my 055xprob tripod with 496 head. It was just too heavy for me, handled the weight of my equipment well but it was too large and much too heavy to be taken around. I left it usually in the apartment or hotel when going out to shoot, i favored a joby gorilla pod focus over the full sized tripod. I have a d800 and i like to use a 14-24 or a 50 1.8G 90% of the time, I do have a 105 2.8 as well but the 14-24 with the d800 would be the heaviest combo. I do like to do long exposures so i am looking for something that is sturdy, or at least sturdy when it is at its smallest form without any legs extended. My budget would ideally be around $300 If its more than that is not a problem, i don't mind saving a few months to buy something that will last me longer.

-I no longer care for brand names, anything that has a decent reputation doesn't have to be well known. Just build quality is important, i do want it to last.
-I also don't care about how tall the think can get, most hit 6Feet fully extended anyways, but this is not a huge concern, i have no problem sitting down and exploring other perspectives.
-Will consider Carbon fibre as long as its not a ridiculous price.

Just some suggestions would be helpful, the camera store nearest me doesn't have the best selection and i am hesitant to buy sight unseen.

WWKRD?

Flashpoint carbon fiber from Adorama...several on sale right now...

Flashpoint carbon fiber from Adorama...several on sale right now...

I think i am going to shoot for the F1128N and a F1 ball head. Comments? I know the max weight is a little on the low side 9.9 pounds but the D800 with 14-24 is not THAT heavy, and i would usually only do long exposures with my 50 or 105 vr. I don't have a filter set for the 14-24.

Dude, with your user name and you can't figure that out..............What Would Ken Rockwell Do.:lol:

As for affordable and light, they really don't belong in the same sentence when talking about tripods. You bought and sold a perfectly good setup because it was too heavy. How much did you loose in the sale over your initial investment? If you had planned that into the original purchase, you probably could have ended up with light in the first place. (I know, I started down the Thom Hogan tripod buying road long before Thom wrote his article. Some one pointed the path out to me and I learned early.)

I am going to suggest that you look at your needs and buy a carbon or boron fiber tripod and head that will support at least twice the weight of your heaviest gear that you ever plan to own. Three times the weight would be better. You are probably not going to get it for $300.00. Point is, if you think this through now and plan for the future you should never have to be in this situation again. My light tripod setup probably cost me close to $1200.00, but it is supporting a 400 f2.8 along with a body and will long after I am gone. Took a while to get, but I have never regretted getting it since the first time I used it.

Most reactions

Back