African lion (pic heavy)

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So we came accross these three 'young' lions. Our ranger said that they were siblings, and that the female will probably leave her brothers soon, to find a dominant male, with his pride. It seemed like they made a kill the night before, as they were stuffed, and extremely lazy. It was about 35°C in the shade, so I don't blame them lol. We got really close, and they did not mind us at all. We were there for around 15 minutes.

#1 and #2 The bigger of the 2 males. They will develop a 'proper' mane when they manage to displace a dominant male, and get a boos of testosterone.

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

#3 His brother did not even bother lifting his head.
IMG_5854.jpg

#4 Neither his sister
IMG_5859.jpg

We found her a couple of days later, alone in a riverbed. They probably got separated during a hunt. She was calling for her brothers every few minutes.

#5 and #6
IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

These are very nice. I always find it very interesting to watch a pride of lions interact with each other, particularly when the young cubs wrestle with each other to try and establish dominance hierarchy.

On clipping the mane, my approach to shooting animals is to always shoot wider than I have to because I can always crop it down if the need arises. I find the first three a little close as far as the crop is concerned - just my thoughts after four trips and thousands of images.

Will you be going again?

WesternGuy

These are very nice. I always find it very interesting to watch a pride of lions interact with each other, particularly when the young cubs wrestle with each other to try and establish dominance hierarchy.

On clipping the mane, my approach to shooting animals is to always shoot wider than I have to because I can always crop it down if the need arises. I find the first three a little close as far as the crop is concerned - just my thoughts after four trips and thousands of images.

Will you be going again?

WesternGuy

Yes, thank you for the tips. We were extremely close (3-5 meters), looking down from the Jeep. I still should have shot wider though. The region where we were had no pride of lions. Only some wandering ones, would love to spend some time with a pride of lions, especially if there are little ones around.

Those are stunning and interesting. Love the 1st two especially. Such a powerful looking animal. Amazing.

Love these. Don't worry about clipping off the mane....still a great shot, and I personally will take closer shots at the expense of cropping out some of the subject at times. To me, the subject is a freaking lion, so the closer you get the more dramatic the shot....outweighs the cropped mane to me.

Love these. Don't worry about clipping off the mane....still a great shot, and I personally will take closer shots at the expense of cropping out some of the subject at times. To me, the subject is a freaking lion, so the closer you get the more dramatic the shot....outweighs the cropped mane to me.

Thank you.

Most reactions

Back